Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Political Me

.

"Mr Albano, you have the makings of a politician", Mr Emmanuel Batoon, my former Economics lecturer once told me.  He didn't elaborate, but it got me thinking:  "Me, a politician?".  The Albanos as well as the Valdeses (my paternal grandmother's family) indeed have politics in their blood: we are related to the Albanos of Isabela who, from one generation to another, have governed that region as well as the Valdezes of San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte such as the current mayor of that town as well as former President Fidel V Ramos. (The difference of how the surname is spelt is irrelevant.)

My first stab at politics happened in the summer of 1992 when the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) launched the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPC-RV) across the country.  During that time I was already active in the parish. It was also the heydays of Anluwage and the Youth Ministry where I was involved.  Together with other youth parishioners, we attended seminars at what was then the parish's Ultreya Hall, went from one barangay chapel to another to educate voters, held prayer rallies, etc.  It was a shame though that I was unable to vote during the synchronized elections that year - I was 9 days shy of 18, the minimum age requirement to vote.

Apart from taking part in PPC-RV, I kept myself abreast with social issues facing the country by reading The Free Press.  I must thank Mr Benjamin Roda, my former English lecturer, for challenging us to read so that we can be conversant not only in the English language, but also in issues affecting us.

Five years later, my mom told me that I was slated for the Barangay elections as a candidate for the kagawad (councilman) post.  I was reluctant. I didn't turn up to meetings called by Mr Victor "Mang Vi" Santos, then Barangay Chairman, our campaign organizer.  When I had the courage to show up he blurted "Paano ka mananalo nyan kung papatay-patay ka?" or words to that effect. That was my point of no return.  Together with fellow candidates - there are 7 councilman seats up for grabs - we met, visited people, etc.  Of course, it wasn't all a bed of roses.  Some people from the other party would entice me to support them (or their candidates) and in exchange they will support me.  I just smiled and walked away.  Surprisingly, I won garnering the highest number of points. I became what is generally called "First Kagawad".   I held the position for the next five years.

It was a challenge to be looked up by people as a leader and as a model.  I must admit that at times I didn't live up to people's expectations.  Apart from my service to the community I was also working.  There were instances that I was away.  Although the councilman's role is more of legislation (e.g. ordinances, budget, etc.), you would need to be there for your people. There are times too that you can displease some of your constituents.

Apart from my role in the barangay, I was also present in many political rallies organized by the Church (particularly by the late Cardinal Jaime Sin) such as the Anti-Charter Change in 1997 and the ouster move against Erap Estrada in 2001.

Going back to the barangay, I enjoyed serving people. I saw a different avenue of reaching out to others. While I made friends, I have also made enemies.  During the barangay elections in 2002, I have witnessed the ugly side of politics.  It seems to me that people whom I displeased did everything to get rid of me. And even after the elections, there were still some residents who did me harm.  With humility and gratefulness, I decided to move on, forgive those who trespassed against me, and focus on other aspects of my life.  True, I got married in a few months from that debacle and then migrated to the UK later on.  

Still, I continued to dip my hands into politics. This time through my writings as well as the various campaigns that I have taken part of whether here in the UK or in the Philippines.  I felt challenged especially that CBCP has named this year as the Year of the Laity. I see politics as an extension of my faith in Jesus Christ, a layman Himself, who showed a new, different, life giving, people empowering kind of leadership.  A leadership based on service. 

For me, unless ordinary people like you and me take part in politics, it will remain the domain of those who have guns, goons, and gold. Unless we, who work 8 or more hours per day and pay taxes to fund the government, speak out change won't happen. Unless we put our leaders to task and hold them accountable, no progress would be effected. Unless we vote wisely, the same (rotten) bananas would remained ensconced in public office. Unless we good Catholic Christians as we often brag ourselves to be do something, evil will continue to thrive in our midst.


No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP