Last Sunday was quite a busy time for me. After going to church with Chiara, we headed home for lunch and then, while she was watching TV, I was on Skype to talk to a cousin in the Philippines. Later on we went to a neighbour's home for a children's party. Chiara had a great time with the other kids. I also enjoyed meeting new faces and getting to know more about our neighbours and other guests. Conscious that I need to prepare our dinner and fetch Nidz from work, we thanked our generous hosts and left.
It was 20 minutes to 8. I told Chiara that it was time for us to fetch her Mommy. As I was driving I heard something different. "This is the first time I felt the car this way!", I told myself. Because I was in a hurry, I just carried on driving. Nidz's workplace is not that far from us anyway. We arrived at the hospital after about 5 minutes. There was a parking space available (my usual spot) so I headed in that direction. Chiara, surprisingly, was fast asleep. It has been a long day for her. I went out of the car to check what's going on. My suspicion was that one of the tires needed more air. It was more than that. One of the rear tires was deflated!
When Nidz arrived, I showed her what happened. "Daddy, you can't drive like that!", she said. I tried to call breakdown service twice, but they were not available. I sent a text message to Meng, a friend and Chiara's godfather, who lives nearby asking for help. He later phoned me up to ask what's the problem. In a few minutes, he arrived. He first tried to use a small pump, but it didn't work. I was getting nervous. I felt like the day was going to end in a low note. He went back to his car to get something. It was Tyreweld, a cylinder container whose contents would not only inflate the tire, but also get the puncture sorted. In a matter of a few minutes, the tire was good as new! We left the place with unending pasasalamat to Pareng Meng.
I suddenly remembered a similar situation way back in September 2012 during our visit to New York. After seeing our relatives in Staten Island, we headed back to Manhattan where we were staying. Nidz and my mother travelled with a cousin and went ahead of us. While Nicola, Chiara, and I were on my aunt's car. My father was with us. My aunt and godmother Ninang Joji drove us. As we entered Battery Park Tunnel (which connects Manhattan and Brooklyn), all of us felt as though we were all bouncing, as though we were passing through potholes. As the tunnel has 2 lanes with vehicles moving on the same direction, drivers from the other lane were signalling to us, pointing at one of our tires. Ninang Joji stopped the car. Although there were barriers separating the 2 lanes, the vehicles at the back sensed the problem and managed to overtake when it was safe to do so. (The barriers, by the way, are made of thin plastic so cars can just pass through easily.)
In spite of how busy these lanes can be, I was surprised and touched that other drivers would stop for a few minutes to check on us and even offered to contact New York Police Department (NYPD). My aunt and father thanked them for their kindness. A few minutes later 2 policemen arrived and told us that one of the rear tires (the one near to where I sat) was severely punctured. The car had to be towed outside the tunnel. We have to ride NYPD cars. Chiara, Ninang Joji, and I were on one car while Papa and Nicola were on the other. Chiara kept on talking to the policeman. At one point she told the cop how handsome he was! The cop graciously told her "Thanks, sweetie. Unfortunately I cannot fix your car". He later asked where Nidz was and Chiara told him that her mom is a nurse. "My wife is a nurse too", quipped the officer. (Incidentally, Pareng Meng's wife is also a nurse.) He told us that at that moment his wife is working in the hospital. All throughout that ordeal, the cops were reassuring. We were grateful for all their help. As it was getting late, Nicola, Chiara, and I took a cab to my sister's apartment. Papa and Ninang Joji stayed for almost an hour for breakdown assistance to replace the tire before returning to Staten Island.
There's this Filipino saying that goes "Ang buhay ay parang gulong. Minsan nasa ibabaw ka. Minsan naman nasa ilalim ka" (Freely: Life is like a tire. Sometimes you are on top. Sometimes you are at the bottom.). These two incidents made us feel that we are at the bottom. And yet, these were also moments when men of goodwill uplifted us. They give deeper meaning to the 'salt of the earth and light of the world' which Jesus mentioned in this Sunday's Gospel. They showed us how it is to love and be loved.


3 comments:
Haha, you hit the nail right on the head! Sometimes we do need some challenge, a pitfall, perhaps a knee-scrape, a simple obstacle or a flat tire in our journey so we learn humility. Great piece, Piet!
Thanks, Papa!
You are awesome,Piet! It is amazing how you have intertwined these events.
Lessons learned:
I) from Joji: Always strategize.
2) from Meddy & Chiara: Never lose the child-like
innocence.
3) from Mario & Piet: Keep the mind functioning.
A lot of good things came out of these seemingly untoward events.. Thank God for good people!
Remember that life is an adventure. Let's live it well!
Post a Comment