Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cardinal Orly



Years ago, when I tell some priests that I am the nephew of Archbishop Orlando "Orly" Quevedo, I would receive varied responses: 

"Ah, si Bishop!" 

"Yung Ilokano?" 

"Monsignor (addressing another priest), pamangkin pala siya ni Archbishop Quevedo!" 

"Outside, (but) Most of the time Inside" (the priest making a joke of the Archbishop's religious congregation whose acronym is OMI [Oblates of Mary Immaculate]).  

For me, this last response is the most interesting and intriguing. 

Established in 1816 by St Eugene de Mazenod and 4 companions to preach missions in Provencal, France, the Oblates have grown to 4,440 priests and brothers spread all over the world.  Religious congregations would have their 'specializations' such as education for the Dominicans, but according to the OMI website (www.omiworld.org) their order does everything: "We are not specialized, except in facing urgent needs.... It was enough for bishops to come to our Founder and say to him: "I do not have anybody..." for him to act, re-examine his manpower, cut personnel here and there, and release 2 or 3 men for these new needs. And that continues today still. You see, it is a question of passion, of missionary concern.... ".  St Eugene's challenge to his confreres: "to leave nothing undared" (www.omiphil.org).

In the Philippines, the OMI's baluarte is Mindanao.  It was here that the young Orly grew up after his brood migrated from Ilocos Norte.  It was also here that he had his calling to be a priest.  For a time he was away from that region due to studies, but he was later called back to serve as Assistant Parish Priest in Cotabato Cathedral and later as Bishop of Kidapawan.   He was called to lead the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia for 12 years, but later made a comeback to the south when he became Archbishop of Cotabato, his current assignment.

Outside, but Most of the time Inside.  Throughout his ministry, as a priest and later as a bishop, he faced many challenges that allowed him to be 'outside', to be with the people who are in need: in Kidapawan, during the Martial Law years; in Nueva Segovia during the post-EDSA 1 revolution; and in Cotabato where he pursues inter-religious dialogue among Christians, Muslims, and indigenous groups. According to Ceres Doyo, he was one of the initiators of the Bishops-Ulama Conference (http://opinion.inquirer.net/69673/cardinal-elect-quevedo-a-gods-commando)

For someone like me who hasn't been in Mindanao and may perhaps have my own (mis)conceptions of that region, I find his ministry truly daunting.  My father once described Tito Orly as "an unassuming and humble man who has survived countless Christian massacres in Cotabato". 

In an interview with ABS-CBN (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/01/25/14/quevedo-wont-leave-cotabato) he said: "I was not worried about myself. I was never in fear of my life when I was there. Even as a bishop, I would go alone to the barrios and go through Muslim territories. I was never afraid because Muslims are friends of mine."

Apart from looking after dioceses and archdioceses, Tito Orly was also President of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) and Secretary General of the Federation of Asian Bishops Conferences (FABC).  

Outside, but Most of the time Inside.  Though he may be have been 'outside', exposed to serving the poor and being with his brother bishops and priests, he is a man from 'inside'. Thomas Fox wrote: "Bishops in the Philippines and throughout Asia have often deferred to Quevedo to draft papers on diverse issues dealing with terrorism, migration, poverty, and the Eucharist as fundamental community builder" (http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/philippine-cardinal-architect-asian-pastoral-churches).  And Fr Catalino Arevalo, SJ has this to say: "Quevedo is almost always a member of the drafting committee. The committee would very often give him the documents and he would work all night and finish it up in the early morning. That means capacity for reflection, for putting things together" (http://ncronline.org/news/global/quevedo-red-hat-boosts-hope-local-church).  

Outside, but Most of the time Inside. I was listening to Archbishop Socrates Villegas' Opening Address during the CBCP's Plenary Assembly where he urged his brother bishops to become contemplative bishops of the poor.


Modesty aside, I think Tito Orly is one of those bishops "soaked in prayer as contemplative shepherds of the people freed from fear and rejection, carrying the mark of Christ scourged, crucified yet risen". A shepherd who, borrowing from Pope Francis' words, has the smell of his sheep.


Warmest congratulations and prayerful wishes, Tito Orly on your appointment as a cardinal of the Catholic Church!  It is indeed an honor for our family, but more so to the Christian community in Cotabato and in Mindanao to have one of theirs to be chosen for such a position.  I'm sure that Pope Francis wanted someone from that region to help him in tending the sheep. May the good Lord bless you! May Mary Immaculate to whom you have dedicated yourself without any reservation guide you. Mabuhay!


2 comments:

Mario V. Albano said...

Thanks Pietro for the brief tribute to a great man serving Jesus Christ!
You will be amazed at the volume of information you will receive and digest about Manong Orly, leading to, during the and after the Consistory. See you, Nidz and Chiara in a few weeks!

Tanghalang Anluwage, Inc. said...

You,re welcome, Papa. I realized that as I have been receiving feedback from friends here in Nottingham who hails from Mindanao (Kidapawan, Kabakan, Midsalip, and Cotabato). I,ll send their regards to Tito Orly! See you soon! Ciao!

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP