The annual procession of the image of Jesus the Black Nazarene every January 9th has been a spectacle in Manila. Thousands of devotees would flock to Quiapo Church to pay tribute to their patron and join the procession. When I was a kid I would hear of people being killed or wounded in the procession that it brought cold chill in my spine. My one and only experience of the procession happened in 1989 when my friend Jonathan De la Llana, a devotee, tagged me along to watch the procession. During those days, the procession starts from the church. It was only recently that the procession began at the Quirino Grandstand to remember the translacion (transfer) of the original image of the Nazareno from Intramuros to Quiapo. The transfer is preceded by a Mass.
When I was still in Manila, I would go to the church to attend Mass during the feast of the Nazareno. For me, that was it!
I got perturbed when I read posts made by friends on Facebook on how unruly some devotees were so much so that they managed to remove the statue from the altar while the Kordero ng Diyos (Lamb of God) was being sung. Here's a video from Youtube to complete the story!
I am disgusted how some devotees didn't have that respect for the Mass when it's the same Jesus (to whom they are devoted) who instituted this sacrament and commanded us to "do this in memory of me". Mind you, during the singing of Kordero ng Diyos the consecrated hosts and wine would have already been at the altar table ready for distribution.
Watching how things unravelled, I don't know what happened to Cardinal Tagle (the Mass Presider) as it seemed that he and other men of the cloth got silenced by a mob of devotos. The cardinal could have raised his voice in protest. He's the presider isn't he? I saw some men in blue uniform, but they seemed to be overwhelmed too! Not sure why they suddenly 'retreated' when they saw the mob approaching the altar. It didn't help either that there was this man (Is he a priest or a commentator?) who initially gave instructions for the mob to get down to allow the Mass to be finished, but later went with the flow and facilitated the transfer of the statue from the altar to the carroza. A reprimand is in order for that guy!
What happened to the Mass? Here's a photo from a friend in Facebook. Apparently, the priests went to the VIP room to ensure that the Body and Blood of Jesus are protected from the stampede. This is where they also finished the Mass.
If this sacrilege would continue next year, organizers of the translacion should take a serious look at this. If the Mass would be disrespected, it might be best to just have it held in the church. The translacion could still be held at the Luneta, but no more Mass. A Way of the Cross seems more appropriate. I agree with a friend who suggested that the military took charge of security next year.
Sad to say those devotees who couldn't wait for the Mass to be completed give the rest of well meaning devotees a bad image. Furthermore, this incident (not to mention the huge amount of garbage that was left along the path of the procession) questions how deep our faith is as Filipino Catholics - ordained and laity alike. Up to what extent to do follow Jesus? Surely, being disrespectful in the Mass and littering are incompatible with His teachings! Where do we recognize Jesus and everything He represents in our midst? Do we still see Him in the form of bread and wine or are we just contented with statues and images?

No comments:
Post a Comment