“Wala na si Papa. (Papa is gone.)”, Marcia (my sister-in-law) told me over the
phone when I called her back at about 3:30am on 30 April
2025. “May God rest his soul,” was all I could say. I couldn’t think of what
else to say apart from asking what time Papa passed away. I didn’t even talk to
Gio, my younger brother, to check on him. After that call, I didn’t go back to
bed. I stayed in the living room, praying and asking for forgiveness. I shared
some happy moments with Papa in that spot in our home when he visited us in 2017
for Chiara’s First Holy Communion.
“Wala na si Papa”, I kept on saying like a
distressed child to his parent as I prayed in church that day. The sense of loss
is starting to make its presence felt. It carries on up to this time and
beyond.
A few days ago, our Rosary group led the
Via Lucis (Way of Light) in church. As the Way of the Cross showed the many
stations of Jesus’ Passion and Death, the Way of Light featured numerous
victories of the Risen Lord. As we meditated and moved from one station to
another, I felt truly grateful that Jesus rose from the dead. St Paul once wrote
that if Jesus did not resurrect then our faith would be futile (cf.1 Cor 15:14).
However, my gratefulness is more on a personal note. The void that my family and
I have been experiencing with Papa’s death has been filled up by the Lord’s
Resurrection.
By His rising from the dead, our faith has been strengthened that
though Papa has passed away, he shall live (cf. Jn 11:25); our hope has been
renewed that he will not be lost, but will be raised up by Christ on the last
day (cf. Jn 6:39); and our charity has been sustained that in the end God will
bring an end to death, mourning, crying, or pain and make all things new (cf.
Rev 21:4-5).
This Easter experience is not only revealed to me by Sacred
Scriptures, but also through the encounter with family and friends who reached
out during these difficult times. When news got out that Papa has passed away,
our closest friends made a surprise visit to check on us. They met Papa previously and have
high regard for him. Seeing them and listening to their stories felt like they
also lost a loved one. Another friend, while in Manila last summer, attended Papa's inurnment and sent me photos. It's as though as I was there too. Fellow parishioners too, both known and unknown to me,
offered a word of condolence or assured me of their prayers. I am touched that
the parish considered Papa as though he was part of the community when they
announced his passing in the newsletter and included him in the annual
Remembering Service in November last year.
“Wala na si Papa” was what my heart
was saying. His response: “rise up to the occasion” (some advice he once told me
ages ago). I am reminded of St Francis’ Prayer, to bring love where there is
hatred, pardon where there is injury, true faith where there is doubt; hope
where there is despair; light where there is darkness. These are the fruits of Easter!
Papa, it has been a year ago since you have passed. No words could describe
the irreplaceable loss that we have been experiencing. Yet we continue to hold
on to Jesus’ victory over sin and death and to place our complete trust in
Him. Thank you for those happy memories we shared together. We miss you a lot. Nevertheless, we will continue to hold on to each other knowing that through love we will
get through life. May the Good Shepherd, who came so that all may have life
and have it abundantly (cf. Jn 10:10), welcome you to the fresh and green
pastures where He will give you repose (cf. Ps 23:2). We love you!

2 comments:
Remembered in prayer
May i join you innyour prayers for your Papa’s soul to Rest in Peace… Amen
Post a Comment