Back in the day, whenever we visit our folks in Kawit, Cavite we wouldn’t miss going to and staying at Ninong Eddie and Ninang Aida’s place. Their home was our second home. With both of our parents away, their home became the home for my siblings and me in 1984. Their family of five doubled!
Ninang Aida was a hands-on mother. Every morning, when I wake up to go to school, she was already up and about preparing breakfast, seeing to it that we have fixed ourselves before the tricycle driver fetches us, etc. Ninong Eddie too was already awake doing gardening or helping with household chores. After school, she would sit next to me to help with my assignments, English and Mathematics especially. (With Mathematics being my Waterloo!) There were also occasions when she would tell us off for being mischievous.
Of course, the house was full of laughter too especially during dinner time when everyone gathered at the large table, which needed extra chairs to accommodate everyone. I enjoyed her cooking especially beef pepper steak.
We enjoyed listening to her playing the piano (with matching singing courtesy of Ninong Eddie!) and watching John en Marsha and other shows on television together.
How they managed to look after such a big family? I am quite sure that it was because they cared and they loved. Ninang Aida, with a smile on her face, recalled that chapter in our lives to Chiara when we made a video call during Ninong Eddie’s 90th birthday in 2020. Having a family of own, I cannot help but remember and do my best to mirror the love, care, and time that Ninang Aida showered on us.
Someone told me that Ninang Aida was fond of me when I was a baby. That fondness, I think, remained till her final days, summed up in the word of endearment she repeatedly called me in what would have been our final phone conversation: anak (son).
Ninang Aida, thank you for considering me as your son. Thank you for not hanging up when I called you, to check how you are doing, to have a laugh with (I can’t believe we managed to do that), to be reminded to keep you in my prayers, and to say I love you. It was painful when I said goodbye to you. You have left a void in our hearts, but we will be strong for each other. May you now rest in Jesus’ loving presence.
To my dear cousins Manang Nanette, Manong Edgar, and Phil and the rest of the Josue-Samaniego clan, my heart goes out to you in this challenging time.
No comments:
Post a Comment