(My father and former web columnist has passed away on 29 April 2025. I am sharing with you the eulogy I delivered during the final viewing of his remains in Edmond, Oklahoma, USA on 3 May 2025.)
Each
of us has lost a father, brother, grandfather, uncle, and friend in our beloved
Mario. And as he lay asleep in the blessed hope of the Resurrection, I remember
how he told us when we were kids to respect someone who is asleep: Kung ayaw
mong matulog, magpatulog ka. I once disobeyed this house rule and was
smacked accordingly.
As
Papa lays asleep, let us allow him to sleep in peace. To do this, I am reminded
of some advice he once told me: rise to the occasion. In those moments
of unforgiveness, we rise to forgive. In times of despair, we rise to hope. In
times of need, we rise to reach out.
I
have not received any sign from Papa since his passing, but listening to your
stories and relating with you, I realize that you are his signs for me. Recently,
Emmy Garon, wife of the late Bob Garon, wrote to say that she will never, ever
forget Papa. He did something which he never expected will save thousands and
thousands of lives who were addicted to drugs. To this day, what he implemented
in DARE is now the official method of rehabilitation in the Philippines.
Papa
has made a difference in our lives. We too are called to make a difference in
the lives of the people around us. Doing so, Papa would be at peace.
Thank
you, Gio and Marcia, for welcoming Papa into your home. Thank you, Tita Meddy
and Tito Teddy, for being there for Papa when he was so ill. You stayed by his
side as long as he needed you. Thank you, Gio’s friends for accepting Papa as
part of your families. He spent the last years of his life enjoying the warmth
and love that you showered him. I am pretty much sure that he will put a good
word for you all when he meets the Lord.
We
just recited a Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Before Papa passed away, Tita Meddy
prayed this beautiful devotion with some of the family around him. Tito Teddy
told me that when the fourth decade was recited, Papa’s countenance became
peaceful. The next time you recite the Chaplet, please remember Papa in your
prayers.
On
behalf of my siblings and our families, as well as the Valdes-Albano Clan,
thank you for being with us in these difficult times. God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment