Piet, salamat.
That was Tito Otie's response when I sent him a photo of the Blessed Sacrament and Belen (Nativity Scene) taken in our parish church in December 2023.
When he was still with us, he was a devotee of both. He was a member of the Adoracion Nocturna Filipina, a religious group back home who spend night adorations in church before the Blessed Sacrament. He was also a lover of the Belen. Every Christmas, his house would not be complete without this. He would make every effort to decorate it as though it was a miniature of the massive Belen in the parish church of Kawit, Cavite.
Tito Otie was such a generous uncle who, every Christmas, would give us gifts. He would give his aguinaldo after the Midnight Mass, just as we have had our Noche Buena. In our late teens, we - my brother Gio and cousins Erwin and Eldin - would feel embarrassed and hide ourselves. Sensing this, he gave us his gift unnoticed.
Part of any graduating student's life is to have their graduation photo taken. As we were on a tight budget then, Tito Otie kindly paid for it. He was so happy when I completed my studies.
He was a cool and patient guy whom I never seen to be angry or uttered curses. He always showed a confident and strong persona which puts us at ease especially during times of trial. When Tita Erling (RIP), his wife, was ill, he was her source of strength. I witnessed how he consoled and affirmed her. Never have I seen him cry during funerals, except when his aunt, Lola Chitang passed away.
Going back to the Belen. He used to tell a story that he went to the church in Kawit to pray. He was under the weather then. This happened during Christmastime. As he was praying, he noticed that the hay on top of the Nativity Scene was smoking. There was short circuit in the wire that ignited the hay. He rushed to the sanctuary to help in putting the fire off. He said that in that incident, God used him as an instrument of preventing what would have been a disaster. In any act of kindness he did, Tito Otie would not take the credit. He would just admit that God used him as an instrument of His graciousness.
Salamat po, Tito Otie.
I guess that these words would be on my lips, heart, and mind every time I think of my beloved uncle. His generosity and words of wisdom; his faith, hope, and love; his devotion to marriage and family; his love of learning, history, and culture; his very self is a gift that will forever be cherished.
Tito Otie, many thanks for the gift of you. I missed you last Christmas as I was decorating my Belen at home and in church. As we commemorate your first death anniversary tomorrow (2 February) may the Lord Jesus - the light sent to enlighten the pagans and the glory of Israel, the Sacred Host adored in every tabernacles across the world - welcome you into His loving presence. As you bore the light of Christ when you were still with us, rest assured that we will continue your legacy. We love you!



1 comment:
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I wasn’t expecting this. Thank you for your kind words and for appreciating our tatay, Piet.
Post a Comment