Powered by Blogger.

Friday, September 06, 2024

Tito Dick


Tito Dick was one of my uncles who provided a father figure to me when I was growing up. One of the earliest memories of him was when he visited me in the hospital. I think I was 5-6 years old then. As I lie in bed, he checked how I was doing. Towards the end of our conversation, he gave me some money to buy some fruits para lumakas ka (so you can be strong).

When my cousins and I used to study in Angelicum, he and Ninang Deedee would meet us outside of their house and check on us. He reminded me to tell him if other students would bully me in school. Wala silang panama sa muscles ko (They don't have a match with my muscles.), he would quip and make a show of his biceps.

In summer of 1985, my brother Gio and I as well as cousin Tony lived in Tito Dick's house. Ninang Deedee cooked him some food and brought it to their room. A few minutes later, he called his sons Manong Rio and Mio as well as Gio, Tony, and I. To our surprise, he hand fed us!

One time, I went to his office to speak to his secretary. He called me to show and try a pair of shoes that was given to him. When it fit, he was delighted and gave it to me - a very appropriate gift as the next day was my birthday.

Such gestures made me at ease when I was growing up. It made me feel that someone was on my side at all times.  As my siblings and I grew up, he and Ninang Deedee became one of our takbuhan (recourse). Without them, I would not been able to study and obtain my degree in university. 

In the last few months before he passed away, I often sent him messages and he would respond with the words Thank you, Ingat (Take care), God bless you and your family. The father figure he provided when I was little was still there through and through. I am very grateful to have reconnected with him, especially during his last few months. In spite of his illness, he was there to make time for me.

Tito Dick, many, many, many thanks for being like a father to me and my siblings. The many moments you checked on me, the times you advised, motivated, challenged, or reprimanded me, the occasions when we had a laugh or two, the thoughtfulness you have shown are forever cherished in my heart. As we remember the first anniversary of your passing, may we continue your legacy of being present for our loved ones; to nurture them so that we could bring the best out of them; and to be always grateful for and share God's blessings with others. We love you!




No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP