Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 18, 2024

Happy World


I was nervous the first time I met Papa Eling when I visited Nidz in her brother's home in Gagalangin, Tondo. (I guess this would be a general feeling among men when they see their girlfriend's father the first time.) Nidz was not at home at that time. I introduced myself to him. I could not remember what we talked about, but my nervousness vanished - Papa was such a cool, unassuming guy. I learned to know more about Papa through the years of courtship, marriage, and family life that Nidz and I shared together.

During my first visit to Sibuyan Island, Romblon in 2005, I witnessed how hard working Papa was. A man of few words, he was an early riser. After a hearty breakfast, he was off to the fields. One time, Nidz brought me to the farm where Papa and other relatives were busy. As I marvelled at the verdant landscape, Papa asked me, "Ibig mo ba?" (Would you like to have a look?). I wanted to, but we had to go to another place. 

After dinner, he would play his banjo while singing some kundiman songs (traditional Filipino love songs). I recognized and sung some of them too! During our last visit to him last year, in spite of being bedridden, he got out of his bed to see us, and belt out some songs to the amazement of his grandchildren!

In the years that I have known him, I could not recall him swear at or bad-mouth another person. He was a warm friend, a loving father to those who encounter him. He was highly regarded by the people. 

Papa Eling's name - Felix - means happy or blessed. On the other hand, his surname - Orbe - means world. The warmth and love he showered on those around him, the faithfulness he demonstrated as a husband and father, the devotion he displayed as a grandfather, the diligence he showed as a farmer, the unconditional trust he had in God - these qualities and more - have made a difference on the lives he touched. 

In his unique way, Papa Eling has given us a happy, blessed world.

Papa Eling, as we remember your first death anniversary, I would like to thank you for welcoming me into your family. Thank you for being such a loving father-in-law. May we always listen to the lessons you taught us. May we always follow your good examples. Doing so, we can make this world a truly blessed place to live in. May God rest your happy soul. We love you!








No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP