Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Tita Luz



As I write this, I imagine my former fellow residents in Barangay 170 in Manila getting ready for the weekly Block Rosary. In my first travel back home from the UK in 2005, I had the privilege of attending this devotion after being away for a year and six months. I saw familiar faces. I saw Tita Luz Lina, President of the Queen of Families Block Rosary Group. 

I first met her when I was about to finish my bachelor's degree. She was pleased to know that I am in the same field as her: Chemistry. A few months later, she invited me to her house where she discussed with me a project that her nephew Alberto Lina (Chairman of Linaheim Corporate Services, Inc) is launching in one of his companies, Cargohaus, Inc. The project involved monitoring, storing, and disposing of chemicals (aka dangerous goods). The project needed a chemist. She told me that although the job was not lucrative, it will provide opportunities to harness one's skills, experience, and knowledge. Having just completed my degree, I told her count me in. Thanks to her,  I was employed in Cargohaus in September 1996.

Tita Luz and I worked together in this project. Regularly, I generated an inventory of dangerous goods and, in consultation with her (being a registered Chemist), we recommended appropriate storage and/or disposal. We also attended meetings with the Bureau of Customs. 

I felt at ease working with her as she was very supportive, accommodating, and humble. Colleagues in Cargohaus as well as Bureau of Customs admire her being a down-to-earth person. We also had moments of laughter. She would also give me a lift every time she visits Cargohaus. Although I only stayed there for a year,  the job opened up avenues for me to learn and develop personal and professional skills as well as enhance my experience in the world of work and practical knowledge of materials. In one of my visits to Tita Luz, I told her how my experience in Cargohaus helped me a lot in the jobs that I did afterwards, be it in the Philippines or in the UK. 

I kept in touch with her even after leaving Cargohaus. After retiring from the Bureau of Soils and Water Management (Department of Agriculture), she devoted her time as Consultant in Cargohaus as well as an active member of the Barangay Rosary Group. During our daily Rosary devotion in October, we would normally sing Marian songs while having a procession.  A member would usually lead in the singing. On her own initiative, Tita Luz brought a cassette player and played Marian songs during the procession. That became an essential part of our devotion since then.

In one of our Rosary devotions, we shared our personal reflection on how do we consider ourselves blessed based on the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12). Tita Luz told us that although she did not marry and had children, she felt blessed to have looked after others as though they were her own. 

Tita Luz, many thanks for being such a kind, generous, and loving person. I am blessed to be counted among those you looked after. It pains me to hear that you are already gone. You have been a blessing to those you have encountered. United with Mary Queen of Families, St Joseph, and all angels and saints, may you enjoy now the blessing of being with God forever.  We love you!

My sincerest condolences to Ninong Joey, Sir Bert, and the entire Lina family in this time of sorrow and bereavement.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP