Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 03, 2022

Looking Forward to the Light



The Gospel reading on 29th December 2021 was Jesus' Presentation in the Temple (Luke 2:22-35). There is an interesting character in that narrative, Simeon, who "would not see death until he has set eyes on the Christ of the Lord." Moved by the Spirit, he came to the Temple where he met the Christ Child and his parents. Luke tells us that Simeon took the Child Jesus and blessed God: "Now, Master, you can let your servant go in peace...because my eyes have seen the salvation which you have prepared for all the nations to see..."

The last months of 2021 were moments of coming together, reconnecting, caring for each other, and prayer for my big family. Ninong Eddie, the Samaniego Clan's pater familias, was ill. I have written about my beloved uncle and godfather in the past and those memories kept coming back as I think of him during those times...and now that he has passed away.

I never thought that the Gospel reading I mentioned above would coincide with Ninong Eddie's demise. And yet, I could see Simeon in him. Last December, my mother made a video call with me while she was with Ninong Eddie in Virginia. For me, he was the vintage Ninong Eddie - full of life, happiness, and faith. When I told him how I was doing, he was generous in his affirmations, like a father to a son. My last words to him were, "We love you." His last words to me were, "I love you too!" 

Like the Simeon of old who kept on looking forward to the coming of God's only Son, Ninong Eddie kept on looking forward to the Light. Towards the end of December, he got weak and declined to undergo further treatment. His last moments were spent with Ninang Aida, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Perhaps, after gazing on them and being assured that everything will be OK, he could have uttered, "Now, Master, you can let your servant go in peace..." A father whose presence was always there for his loved ones, he passed away peacefully surrounded by his immediate family.  

Ninong Eddie, thank you for being you. Your life was a total dedication to what matters most in life: family, faith, love. May Christ whose Birth, Death, and Resurrection you bore witness to in this world welcome you into His glory where there is no more sadness, sickness, or pain. May you now enjoy light, happiness, and peace. We love you!

To Ninang Aida, Manang Nanette, Manong Edgar, Philip, and family, thank you for sharing Ninong Eddie with us. I hold you all close to my heart especially at this time of sorrow. We are family!










No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP