"Welcome to Letran!" Those were the opening words from our School Director as he made some announcements right after the flag ceremony. I couldn't remember now what else he said (It's been a long time, I know!), but his words gave me some sort of assurance as I start to settle in my new school.
Fr Thomas Lopez Francisco, OP, or Fr Thom as he is fondly called, would often be seen making his rounds in the school, sometimes chatting with students and staff. In almost all events in the Elementary Department, he would always be there. When we see him approaching, we would approach him to ask for his blessing. And he would bless us warmly.
Just a few weeks after that flag ceremony, we would witness him being installed as the new rector and president of Letran. In his 3-year stint as leader of this august college, there were 3 important events that took place: 1. In July 1987, the Dominican Order in the Philippines celebrated its 400th anniversary; 2. In October 1987, a number of Dominican martyrs were canonized - among them were priests from Letran, and a Filipino lay man, Lorenzo Ruiz; 3. In June 1988, a number of Vietnamese martyrs were raised to the altars - one of them was a Letranite and Dominican priest, Vicente Liem de la Paz. There was one event though that posed a challenge to his rectorship. In January 1987, teachers went on strike for a week. In my young mind then, I wasn't sure what the reason was, but luckily there were no strikes after that.
At first, I thought Fr Thom was a foreigner. I haven't heard him speak in Filipino like his confreres such as the late Fr Regino Cortez or the late Fr Ramon Salinas. It didn't help either that in the Elementary Department we were not allowed to speak in our mother tongue. I would later found out that he was born in China to a Filipino father and a Peruvian mother.
In spite of this 'language barrier' (if any), this soft-spoken priest comes across as approachable and friendly. During his homilies, he would address us as "My fellow Letranites". Perhaps he was an alumnus of this institution.
In my final year in high school, I was with friends in Luneta for a religious event when suddenly I saw him. I greeted him and he greeted me too. Our attention was called by a colorful banner of a religious organization taking part in the gathering. He asked me what the words meant (I think they were in Tagalog). He listened intently as I explained it to him.
During my graduation, Fr Thom was around and even spent some light moments with me and former teachers. It took a decade before I met him again, in Letran, when I attended a nephew's Christmas party. After giving his Christmas message, he sang "Whispering Hope". After the program, I grabbed the opportunity to see and have a chat with him. He was much older and yet that didn't hide his warmth and amiability. I asked for his prayers for my grandmother who passed away a few months earlier and for my family. He assured me of his prayers. I never thought it would be our last meeting.
Fr Thom, thank you for making me feel welcome in Letran. Your presence and words were sources of strength for me. It gave me the wings to fly and glide. As we celebrate Christmas, inspire us so that our presence and kind words would enable others especially those who are weak and left out to enter - in our lives, in our families, in our communities - and be welcomed. I'm sure that when our time is up, we'll see you there saying "Welcome to heaven!". God bless your kind soul!

No comments:
Post a Comment