Maka-matanda (able to mature). That's how some contemporaries would use to describe me when I was 10 years old or so. For when schools are closed and kids would often play under the scorching heat of the sun, I was nowhere in the streets. I was in the kubol (chapel) joining my aunt and other elders chanting the Pasyong Mahal (a poem on the life of Jesus sung during Lent).
In my early teens (and this was when we moved back in Manila), the church would be the only place I would be after school - attending Mass or any pious activity, attending meetings or choir practice, etc. When I was contemplating on what church group I would like to join, I had in mind the Cofradia de San Jose, an organization composed of adults, mostly elderly men and women in the parish.
As I progressed in school then to university and later got a job, I became less immersed in church. It was not because I found the devotion boring, but it was because I lacked the time to do what I used to do. There were 2 instances that seem to be wake up calls for me.
I was then teaching in UST. Two of my students approached me and frankly told me, "Sir, bakit ang sungit ninyo? Siguro 'di kayo nagsisimba?" (Sir, why are you so ill-tempered? Perhaps you haven't been to church lately?). (Now these two students knew me as I taught them in a previous semester. Apart from that, I was one of their advisers in the Pax Romana-College of Science chapter.) I was dumbfounded. Thinking about it, I do go to church every Sunday, but that was it! Soon, I made it an effort to attend daily Mass at the UST Chapel, UST Hospital Chapel, or the neighboring Espiritu Santo Parish Church.
Just a few years later, we had a speaker in one of our Christian Life Programs at the Singles for Christ in Gagalangin. He shared with us how he would attend daily Mass. After his talk, I approached and praised him for his devotion. I went further by asking him how does he still find time to do it. "Hinihingi 'yan, brod." (You just need to ask for it, brother).
True, there may be moments when going to church daily would be a tall order, but if we humble ourselves and ask God for the grace to be there, He will give us that chance. In my young mind then, I've seen how this grace operated in the life of my Lolo Paul. In spite of his hectic schedule, he and Lola Piling, would still find time to attend daily Mass at the St Rita Hospital Chapel.
On one rare occasion, there was an emergency in the hospital (someone due to give birth perhaps) while Mass was being offered. Lolo was called by the nurse. He left the chapel straightaway. Later, Lola followed him. I guess this would be understandable especially if there is a patient in need. To ignore this person would be tantamount to ignoring Jesus present in him (Matthew 25:40).
It's Lolo Paul's 30th death anniversary today. Looking back, I am grateful. Grateful for having that chance to be immersed in those forms of devotion, of being up and about in "the Father's business", of being able to mature in the faith. Grateful for having such a loving grandfather who made this possible. Following his good example, may I strive "to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with God" (cf. Micah 6:8).
Rest in God's peace, Lolo Paul! We love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment