Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Karaoke Time


We Pinoys are music-lovers. Music has long been ingrained in our culture. In almost any turn, regardless if they are big events such as weddings and graduation or ordinary ones such as planting ("Magtanim ay di biro, maghapong nakayuko..." rings a bell, isn't it?) or courting (Remember the kundimans of long ago to the present love songs), music was, is, and will always be part of a Pinoy's life.

Speaking about events, parties (of which Filipinos are the best!), have been occasions when we belt out songs thanks to the Karaoke/Magic Sing/whatever you call it. Whether you can sing like a pro or not, you'll surely find this activity relaxing and, perhaps, develop more your skills in singing. I have often liked songs such as "Tell me quando, quando, quando" (To Chiara's amusement), "Sway", "It's now or never", "Bikini mong itim", and other songs by Frank Sinatra, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, or our very own Jose Mari Chan. There is a score generated after the song, but who cares? You sing for enjoyment, not for an audition! Just be careful not to irritate those around you!

Apart from self-enjoyment, I am also amused with fellow singers. Some could sing and dance quite easily almost any songs.  This helps especially when one struggles to remember a song's tune by relying on the title alone. Coupled with a few drinks, singing becomes more spontaneous and swabe.

Music, it's been said, is the food of the soul. As it uplifts us when we're down and calms us when we're agitated, it also unites us with other souls on the same boat.  Keep on singing!


***




I'm very glad to hear the news that Espiritu Santo Parish (Tayuman, Sta Cruz, Manila) has been declared an archdiocesan shrine. Ever since a college student, and particularly during my last 2 years in UST, I have frequented this beautiful church.  Apart from the Sunday Mass, I have been to the Novena to the Holy Spirit held every Monday and Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help every Wednesday.  Include too the Simbang Gabi

What I liked with the church, apart from how lovely it looks like (the "Descent of the Holy Spirit " on the main altar, the elegant main altar, the huge statues, the pipe organ, the bells come to mind), is how the liturgy is conducted - with a sense for the sacred. The homilies delivered by the priests, especially Msgr Alberto Salonga Jr (Parish Priest since 1998), were direct to the point and practical. The choir is awesome! Until now, I still ask myself how could they do justice to Lucio D San Pedro's Misa Pastorela when another parish struggled to do so until it went to disuse.  Such was our love for that church that we attended the Simbang Gabi there for quite a number of days when my family and I visited the Philippines in 2010. For Nidz and I, that's our church at home. Strange, we didn't get married there.

Prayerful wishes to the Archdiocesan Shrine of Espiritu Santo community!  May you continue to be open to the Holy Spirit so that He will be able to animate you in your mission to proclaim Him, not only within the confines of the parish, but more so across the archdiocese and beyond. Maligayang Kapistahan!


No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP