Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Hairy Issues


Many years ago, we went to the airport to fetch our grandmother who was returning from a trip to the States. As we waited, my aunt told me "There's your Lola (Grandmother)!". I stood up in front of a woman I hardly recognized. She wasn't the Lola I knew of. Her white hair prevented me from recognizing her.   My younger brother had a different reaction. Once she asked my mother if she would also grow old like Lola. My mother gave the affirmative to which my brother cried!

Later on, I have seen my Lola's white hair in her children - my Dad and his siblings.  
(Lola Piling and her sons. Seated: Lola Piling; Standing L-R: Mario (Papa), Ireneo, Laurentino, Paulino Jr., and Alejandro Albano)

When I started to have white hair, an aunt told me "Welcome to the club!".  White hair can sometimes be nasty because,  and I noticed this, they grow faster than the dark one. My wife would cut or pluck them out before, but she seemed to have given up when more and more of them appeared. (I've seen some white hair too in my moustache, nose, and beard!)

If my father's side of the family is known to have white (and thick) hair, my mother's side has (male) members with thinning hair.  



(Samaniego siblings. Seated L-R: Aida (Mama), Aida Samaniego (Mama's sister-in-law; my aunt and godmother), Lilia Samaniego-Reyes; Standing L-R: Edgardo, Luisito, Augusto Jr., and Rustico Samaniego)

Looking at my head, I have the 'best' of both families!

White or thinning hair, both tell us of the reality of ageing.  The Good Book says "White hair is a crown of honor obtained by righteous living." (Proverbs 16:31).  It's nearly Father's Day. I must admit that I am not a perfect father, but at each waking moment, at each time I hear my daughter's voice, my heart leaps for joy. I am grateful to be a father. As I age, I hope and pray that I will grow as a wise and holy father (and husband). That I'll be worthy of that 'crown of honor'.

Happy Father's Day to all dads!

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP