Part of our vacation in
California this Christmas was to participate in the Maytinis celebration
in Chula Vista on December 14, 2013. Kawit natives who have migrated to
South California have brought with them cherished home town traditions such as
the Maytinis. It is the annual Christmas Eve celebration in Kawit having as its
main feature the Panunuluyan - Mary and Joseph's unfruitful
search for a place where to give birth to Jesus. The lyrics of the
Panunuluyan are sung by its perfomers - Joseph, Mary, the kaseros (landlords),
and the angel.
Chiara was invited by my first cousin
Mr. Robert "Manong Bob" Shroder to perform as one of the angels who
will sing the "Coros Villancicos" (a Spanish Christmas carol) on
stage. Manong Bob has been the Musical Director of the Maytinis since he
moved to the States. Prior to that, he held the same position in Kawit,
Cavite which he inherited from our grandfather the late Augusto “Lolo Gusing”
Samaniego Sr.
Months before out trip, I taught
the song to my unica hija. It was a bit challenging for both
of us because this was her first time to sing in Spanish. I was amazed
that she learned the song quickly!
During the rehearsal at the
Rancho del Rey Middle School, I brought Chiara to Mrs. Aida ‘Ti Aida’ Bautista,
the Artistic Director. Ti Aida told me and Chiara to take our
seats and she'll call Chiara when it's her time to practice. While seated
I felt that something would happen. I just don't know what.
Manong Bob arrived shortly and had a chat with Ti Aida. I was sat next to my uncle Augusto Samaniego Jr. when my cousin called me in front. He asked if I could perform as Joseph because the person who was supposed to do it has been unable to do so. At first I was hesitant, but through my cousin's prodding and encouragement, I finally gave my fiat. Ti Aida handed me a copy of the script and introduced me to Miss Ashley Zaveyan who will be performing as Mary. Ashley was very supportive and easy to work with. I learned that she has been doing this role for a few years already.
Manong Bob arrived shortly and had a chat with Ti Aida. I was sat next to my uncle Augusto Samaniego Jr. when my cousin called me in front. He asked if I could perform as Joseph because the person who was supposed to do it has been unable to do so. At first I was hesitant, but through my cousin's prodding and encouragement, I finally gave my fiat. Ti Aida handed me a copy of the script and introduced me to Miss Ashley Zaveyan who will be performing as Mary. Ashley was very supportive and easy to work with. I learned that she has been doing this role for a few years already.
Our rehearsal began.
Although I have learned the tune since I was a boy - thanks to Manong
Bob's mom and my aunt, the late Mommy Rosie (who used to be the Cantora Mayor of the Maytinis in Kawit)
- I haven't learned how to syllabicate the lyrics properly. Manong
Bob patiently guided me. Ashley suggested that I use a pen to highlight lyrics
on my script. After the practice, I asked St. Joseph's help that I may do
justice to the role. I also read through the script and highlighted
lyrics where the stress is required.
Then came the big day. The
school auditorium was teeming with life. Manong Bob was already rehearsing with
the band when I arrived. He later asked me and Ashley if we could have a
final dry run. As there were still some song numbers performed before the
Maytinis, I sat in one corner internalizing my role. My wife helped me out with my costume. A
few people approached me to give words of encouragement or appreciation.
I also met some relatives or friends whom I have not seen for ages.
Hours later, it was show time!
It was a humbling experience to ask for shelter and then to be turned down by the kaseros. I was about to shed tears. After being rejected, the angel led me and my partner to a stable. There, we would be in front of a statue of the Baby Jesus. I fixed my gaze on that statue, thanking the Lord for being born for us and for guiding all performers in this event. I couldn't see Chiara from where I was located - she was actually just a few steps from me. However, I could hear her wonderful voice and that made me one such proud dad!
Christmas came with a surprise for me. Portraying the
role of my patron saint was too lofty for me. I prefer to be Joseph's
donkey (or his toolbox). During the Mass on the 4th Sunday of Advent
(Dec. 22), the priest mentioned in his homily that we should not be afraid, but
believe and trust God (just like Joseph and Mary) in any undertaking He calls
us. During the Mass on the feast of the Holy Family (Dec. 29), our parish
priest mentioned Joseph's openness and humility to do God's will. Regardless if
we are donkeys or whatever names we call ourselves, God believes us! Let's get
rid of what holds us back from serving Him. To Him be the glory!
I'm thankful for my family, Manong Bob, Ti Aida, Ashley, and other co-performers for their support to me and Chiara. This would surely be an event we'll treasure in our hearts forever.
Thank you too Mommy Rosie and Lolo Gusing. Through the exposure they have provided when I was a boy, they have prepared me for this role. May God bless their kind souls. Long live Maytinis!
I'm thankful for my family, Manong Bob, Ti Aida, Ashley, and other co-performers for their support to me and Chiara. This would surely be an event we'll treasure in our hearts forever.
Thank you too Mommy Rosie and Lolo Gusing. Through the exposure they have provided when I was a boy, they have prepared me for this role. May God bless their kind souls. Long live Maytinis!
***
Christmas is a time to be with the family. We have been blessed this year to have spend it with my mother, my uncle Augusto and his family, and Manong Bob and his family. The last time I saw my uncle was 15 years ago and we spent a considerable number of enjoyable and fun days in their home in San Diego. Chiara told me before she went to sleep how she misses them, especially my cousins Zyrille and Melanie Samaniego. I share the same feeling. I look forward to be reunited with them soon.
I'm also grateful for Jackie and Ernie Rapada and family who have welcomed us in their place in Long Beach and who have taken us to various places during our holiday. Thanks too to Mama Cora Rapada (Ernie's mom) and family as well as Lyn and Noel Domanguera and family who were our hosts in Las Vegas.
May God bless you all! Till we meet again!
***
Happy Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! May all families possess Jesus' unconditional love and humility, Mary's strong faith, and Joseph's reliable obedience!





No comments:
Post a Comment