September 5, 2001. At the UST Medicine Cinematorium, students and alumni showcased their talents in dance, poetry, and music through Retro Ciencia (a variety show to celebrate the UST College of Science's Diamond Jubilee). When Gari De Guzman introduced the next performer, Beverly Salviejo (his co-emcee) became intrigued with this performer's title. So she asked Gari what does the title Dean Emeritus mean. Gari repeatedly uttered "Dean Forever". That performer was no other than Prof. Carmen G. Kanapi, first lady Dean of the College of Science. She played the accordion to the audience's delight!
The first Filipino geneticist, Prof. Kanapi rose from the ranks served as Chairman of the Biological Sciences Department, Assistant Dean of the College, Dean of the Graduate School, finally Dean of the College of Science. She held this post for 13 years.
When I was a freshmen in UST, part of our orientation was a talk by the Dean. These words of her stuck to my mind: "This is the College of Science. This is not the College of Hairdressing and Dressmaking". Indeed, under her watch the College has been accredited and re-accredited. The faculty profile in terms of Masters and Doctorates was also robust. I recall, when I was already teaching in UST, listening to a conversation between Prof. Fortunato Sevilla (one of Ma'am Kanapi's successors) and other colleagues. Sir Fortune conceded that had Ma'am Kanapi didn't push faculty members to pursue postgraduate degrees, people would just lose steam. In another conversation, Assoc. Prof. Carmen Morales told me how this dean would touch base with her, checking how she is progressing with her Master's.
Ma'am Kanapi comes across as a strict leader. Someone who calls a spade a spade. She believes that if you are transparent with your dealings then you would be out of trouble. A papal awardee, she would be often seen attending daily Mass or just paying a visit before the Blessed Sacrament at the UST Chapel. When she was diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing treatment, I was amazed at how she conducted herself. She could still smile amidst the trials. Thank God, she survived and was seen in good spirits during the variety show for Science Week in 1995.
When she retired in 1996, the University accorded her with the title of Dean Emeritus. In spite stepping down from the deanship, Ma'am Kanapi was seen engaged with teaching, research, and most especially with her project Environmental Education for All. I once sent her some clippings for her project. Unexpectedly, she phoned up the Chemistry Faculty Room to speak to me. Unfortunately, I wasn't around so she asked a colleague to relay her thanks to me.
A few months before I left UST, I saw her outside the Main Building and greeted her. She greeted me back. I then noticed that she was walking on the same direction as mine. As it was drizzling I opened my umbrella and offered a shade for her. She obliged. I started to have a chat with her, asking how was her trip to the US (I learned she was abroad which was why she was unable to attend the graduation ceremonies a few months previously.). She said that it was rainy and the only place they could visit was a museum. Had the weather been fine, she would have loved to go to the park and marvel at plants, flowers, etc. From that brief conversation, I saw a different Dean Kanapi, not someone who is on a pedestal, but someone who is an equal. Someone who is truly tao.
I may not have been her student, but I learned a lot from her example and inspiring words. We call that in Education as the hidden curriculum.
Happy 88th birthday, Ma'am Kanapi! Your legacy lives on at the College of Science. Indeed, your deanship goes on and on. May God continuously bless you more and more! We love you!

1 comment:
Thanks Pietro. Wishing more will post their personal experience with Dean Kanapi. God bless. ❤️❤️❤️
Post a Comment