Powered by Blogger.

Friday, November 08, 2013

Saan Ka Man Naroroon


Devotion to the Faithful Departed (a.k.a. Holy Souls) has been embedded in our faith as Catholic Christians. We offer Masses and other prayers for the dead. We visit our loved ones' graves on special occasions.  For Catholic Pinoys, Todos los Santos (All Saints' Day), is a spectacle as we flock to cemeteries to pay tribute to the dead in a festive way.

I recall the many childhood years when my late aunt Mommy Rosie Samaniego would tag me along to 2 religious events devoted to the dead.  The first one is the Rosario Cantada, an old practice in Kawit, Cavite which some families would offer for their dead on occasions such as the pasiyam (Novena for the dead) or 40 days.  (This practice per se is not only held for the dead.  The outgoing Ina, during those days, would have the Rosario Cantada in her house on the night before she and the Ama turn over their responsibilities to their successors.) 

As the name suggests, Mommy and her fellow cantoras (lady singers) would chant the Rosary.  Musical accompaniment is provided by Lolo Gusing and his colleagues.  I don't recall exactly the lyrics, but I have a gut feeling that they were in Latin.  Due to migration abroad and/or death of singers or musicians, I think this devotion became defunct. I wish this could be revived.

Another act of piety which Mommy used to do was to sing during the Funeral Masses in Kawit. Her favourite song was "Saan Ka Man Naroroon" (Wherever You Are), a Tagalog kundiman (love song) composed by National Artist Levi Celerio.  This song was sung during Communion or when people are placing flowers on the casket, as what has been the practice before the burial.  Mommy would change the word sinta from time to time.  If the dead is an elder male, she would use the word "Itay" or "Ama". If it is an elder female, it is "Inay" or "Ina".  There were, as far as I could remember, two funerals when Mommy didn't sing it: during the Mass for Tito Carling (her younger brother) and Lolo Gusing.

Apart from this beautiful song, I was also exposed to the beauty of Kawit's liturgy for the dead such as the priest welcoming the dead and their bereaved at the door of the church, the incensing of the casket, and (during the late Msgr Hernando Godoy's time) the chanting of Requiem aeternam (Eternal rest). I learned the responses by heart so much so that during Mommy's wake, I managed to respond to Msgr Godoy's Latin prayers. 

I was told that there were other good practices for the dead (such as the priest joining the procession to the church and to the cemetery) that used to be in vogue, but have been put in the back burner.  I'm thankful that Mommy showed me what remains of such wonderful tradition.

After the Mass, we would join the rest of the mourners to the cemetery in Barangay Wakas on foot.  There was one incident that I won't forget one time we attended a funeral.  The neighbourhood barber passed away.  During the interment, it rained that the cemetery was muddy.  I saw some kids bigger than me stepped on a big slab of stone. So I followed them. Because of our weight, the slab broke!  Meanwhile,the sepultureros (gravediggers) were looking for a slab that was needed to seal the grave.  They have already cemented 2 together. Suddenly, someone noticed us stepping on the missing slab!  Mommy was so embarrassed and apologised profusely for our naughtiness.

In the family bereavements, Mommy wasn't the weepy type of person.  Though I may have seen her shed and wipe a tear, she exuded confidence and strength of character.  I've also seen her comfort those who are mourning, not thinking so much of her own grief.

Watching the videos that Manong Bob (her only son) took during her last moments on earth, she faced death with calmness and grace drawn from the Risen Lord Jesus. 

Saan ka man naroon, Mommy, thank you for being such a good example of how we should be devoted to those who have gone before us.  May we also show them the love and gratitude you have rendered them.

Here's a tribute to you on your birth anniversary this November 11. May you rest in peace!







1 comment:

Mario V Albano said...

I do miss her smile, laughter and especially the confidence and strength she projected to other people. Thanks Pietro

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP