Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pia

It was an exhausting Maundy Thursday at the office, especially as the University will be closed on Good Friday till Easter Tuesday.  When I went home, my wife was telling me some news from Manila - Pia Girlie Guevarra, a former classmate and best friend of my youngest sister Kristina, was killed.  At first I couldn't put a face on the name as all my 3 sisters had several classmates who used to go to our house in Gagalangin.  (Years ago, in UST, when a student greets me with the familiar "Manong Piet" I am often dumbfounded as who this person is - until they would introduce themselves as So-and-so, the classmate of one of my sisters.)
While at a loss as who Pia was, I prayed for her and her loved ones during the Mass of the Lord's Supper.  The following day, Kristina showed me Pia's photo. Suddenly I began to recognize her! She was linked to me not only through my sister, but also through her Dad, Angel, a member of the Knights of Columbus in Gagalangin!
Kristina told me the shocking news that Pia was gunned while driving her car - she actually shielded Tita Ruth, her mom from the attack. One of the gunshots hit her heart which was fatal. I learned that she and her mom came from the bank where they withdrew money to pay for the salary of their workers - as the 31st fell on a Sunday and offices are closed from Maundy Thursday, the 2nd batch salary (first batch being on the 15th) was to be given on the 27th. Apparently, the gunmen chased them.  I couldn't help, but ask: Is this how desparate some people are that they would kill in order to steal? I couldn't see the logic at all!
Kristina mentioned to me that Pia's family was attending a prayer meeting during the first few hours of the wake. A religious and simple family, the Guevarras were asking for guidance as they face this trial in their lives.
Pia is the Latin word for loving.  In her untimely and horrible death, her 2 very young kids lost a loving mother; her parents, a loving daughter; her siblings, a loving sister; her friends, a loving confidant.
In closing, I would like to share an excerpt of the "Final Prayer and Blessing" which our group said during our Way of the Cross last Good Friday.  I find this very appropriate for Pia and her bereaved family:
We pray for those...who are killed through violence...for all who die out of due season. That the Lord of all mercies will make good their loss in this life and gladden them with the glory of heaven.
We pray for those who mourn the loss of those they have loved long and well. That their sorrow might be free from hopeless grief and from the agony of bitter regrets. We pray that they might mourn in hope, knowing that the one who is Alpha and Omega embraces the living and the dead in his loving compassion and purpose.
May God bless your loving soul, Pia.
My sincerest condolences to Tito Angel, Tita Ruth, and family.

1 comment:

Mario V. Albano said...

Thanks Piet, I will keep her memory in my prayers. Please pass my contact information to her dad, my friend.

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP