Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mary Potter

At the St Barnabas Cathedral, just opposite to the steps going down the crypt (where deceased bishops are buried), one cannot fail to notice Venerable Mary Potter's tomb.  She was the founder of the Little Company of Mary Sisters (a.k.a. Blue Sisters), a religious congregation dedicated to the caring for the  suffering, the sick, and the dying.  Following the Virgin Mary's example of being with Jesus till His dying hours, this Marian congregation was founded in Nottingham in 1877.
I was at the St Barnabas Cathedral on 9th April, to witness the Mass in celebration of Ven. Mary Potter's 100th Death Anniversary.  The church was jampacked when I came. Mass has already begun and because I wasn't sure if I could stay that long (I only had an hour's lunch break), I decided to stay near the door. The welcomers were pointing me to a seat, but I politely declined their offer.
The Rt Rev Malcolm McMahon, bishop of Nottingham, was away and so his homily was read by the Vicar General Msgr Thomas McGovern whom I worked with previously. Bishop Malcolm cited three qualities that we could learn from this potential candidate for sainthood:
First, like the infant Church as described in the Second Reading of that Mass (Acts 4:32-37), Mary and her small band were of one mind and heart. He cited that during the early days of the congregation, the sisters slept in the chapel to ensure the safety of the Blessed Sacrament.
For us who belong to a family, an organisation, a community of believers (i.e. the Church) that oneness of mind and heart is essential so that no one is left out in the cold. I note in the Bishop's homily that Mary's pioneering service to those who suffer came at a time when there were still no National Insurance nor National Health Service. In fact, according to the congregation's history, people then were avoiding to be hospitalised as the death rate was really high. 
Second, Mary's patience in bearing her trials.  To this was cited the instance when she was operated on the kitchen table (of her convent) without anaesthesia. I later read from the congregation's website that she underwent surgery for breast cancer not once, but twice (June and December 1878) and that her heart condition precluded the use of anaesthesia.
"Patience is a virtue." And yet we often find ourselves complaining about this and that. At times we open our mouths when we shouldn't have to in the first place. Apart from those two painful operations, Mary also endured the humiliation of being deposed by the bishop from her position as Mother Superior. Yet time came when she was reinstated. If we were in her shoes, would we just throw the towel? There are moments that when we no longer have any position in our group, we resort to "lie low" or worse, badmouth our group and colleagues. Is that necessary?
Third, Mary and her companions lived the Beatitudes (which was the Gospel reading for that celebration).  The Bishop cited that the sisters possesed "purity of heart" and that they consoled those who mourn, those who are sick, those about to die.
The call to holiness is a call for all.  Jesus presents to us the Beatitudes as a way of life.  Mary and her congregration came to the aid of those in need in various ways.  Praying with some of them in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel every Thursday noontime, I am touched with how they would lift up all those who are sick and dying.  It deepens my faith since it was written that "Faith comes through hearing". 
In a society and time when being a religious seems unthinkable; when God seems unwanted, unwelcome, unidentified; when suffering is something that is frowned upon; Mary Potter's example and legacy - kept alive by her now big band of nun, associates, and supporters -  is urgently needed.
Venerable Mary Potter, pray for us!

1 comment:

Mario V. Albano said...

She was such an amazing and self-less person. Thanks for the write-up!

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP