Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Perpetual Help Novena in Nottingham


The Filipino Rosary Crusade-Nottingham North, which I am leading, has launched the Perpetual Help Novena in our parish on 24 Septemeber 2011. I'd like to share with you the Introduction I delivered during that event. Please remember us your kababayans here in Nottingham, UK as we continue to spread this popular devotion, as we "fight the good fight of faith".

Good afternoon and welcome to the launching of the Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help here at the Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Parish.

Seven years ago, when I started worshipping in this church, I had an interesting conversation with John Staniland, our lead altar server in the Mass a while ago. I told him that we Filipinos fondly call the Parish’s Patroness as ‘Mother of Perpetual Help’. John replied that the word “succour” is an old English equivalent for “help”. Regardless of the variation of words, both titles (i.e. “Our Lady of Perpetual Succour” and “Mother of Perpetual Help”) share a common denominator: Mary comes to assist those in need.

If we look back at Holy Scriptures, we can recall how Mary helped her cousin Elizabeth when the latter was pregnant at an old age. She also came to the aid of the newly wedded couple in Cana. She helped the apostles and surely she did the same to St. Joseph, her husband. She also helped Jesus. When Jesus was about to die on the cross, He entrusted Mary to us as though saying “I have been helped by My Mother. I am sure she will also help you!”.

There is a beautiful story behind the picture of Our Mother of Perpetual Help. It was said that the Child Jesus had a vision of two angels : one holding a cross, the other holding a spear, tools that would be used when He would offer His life for our salvation. Being young at that time, the little boy didn’t understand this and became afraid. He ran to His Mother who in turn carried Him in her arms. The fear of Jesus was so great that one of His sandals, as you can see from the picture, was dangling from his foot.

We thank Fr. Gerry Murphy for allowing us to hold this novena in this church, a novena which has been used in the Philippines for the last 65 years. Through this devotion, we aim to provide a way for Filipinos to serve in the parish, to celebrate the church’s 60th dedication anniversary, and to promote the devotion in the parish named after Our Lady.

Going back to the picture of Our Lady and the Child Jesus, let us have that childlike confidence as we present our needs and cares to her.

I would like to turn you over to Joey Mabalot who will be leading us in this month’s Novena.

Thank you.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP