One time, I spent the weekend in an aunt's house. Before returning home, we phoned up the house. It so happened that Lolo Paul picked up the phone. I greeted him and he asked me "Nagsimba ka na ba?" (since it was a Sunday). "Opo," I replied. "Sino ang pari dyan?," he asked. "Si Fr Benedicto po." (Now this priest is for real. Fr Antonio Benedicto - later awarded with the title of "Monsignor" - was a contemporary of Ninong Sonny Albano - Lolo's eldest son - when they both studied at the San Jose Seminary.The last time I met Msgr. Benedicto was during the Chrism Mass at the Manila Cathedral in the late 90s. He was already retired then. I'm glad that he still recognized me during that encounter.) Having been satisfied with my answers, he took my message that we're on our way home.
I hope and pray that I will continue to value the Mass and be a role model to others just like my late grandparents.
I heard the news that Msgr Federico Navarro, an ex-parish priest of Gagalangin, passed away on 21 June. He was the first parish priest in Gagalangin that I have assisted during the Masses he led at the St Rita Hospital. I won't forget how I fetched him using a side car as there was no driver available then. He also provided me with positive feedback on how to be an effective commentator/lector. He was also the one who officiated my confirmation during the Town Fiesta in 1987.
During his time, an Adoration Chapel was constructed in celebration of the National Eucharistic Year in the Philippines. A lover of Latin music, the 7:30am Sunday Mass always featured the singing of Gregorian chants. Ditto the Aguinaldo Masses.
He was also a vocal Cory Aquino supporter, just like me!
His administration though was marked with massive and rather controversial renovation of the church which included the 'veiling' of the beautiful painting of the "Death of St Joseph" on the main altar, the removal of the altar of St Joseph as well as that of the Our Lady of Miraculous Medal and St Anthony. The changes he effected paled in comparison to the beauty that was present in the church sanctuary during the time of his 2 predecessors. People used to ridicule the new altars for the Virgin and St Joseph calling them "papaya" because of their obvious shapes. He may have planned further improvements had not he been reassigned to neighboring Maypajo. His term was the shortest among the cura parrocos of Gagalangin - almost 3 years only. It took Fr Bhong Guerrero to address the gaps in the renovation implemented by Msgr Navarro. Hence, the current altar of Gagalangin which, only recently became an item of discussion in Facebook because of still more unwanted changes.
Having said that, Msgr Navarro comes across as a good, generous, and approachable person. At the end of the day, it's these qualities that will truly count.
May God bless your soul, Monsignor! Thank you!
Last point I wish to raise is the implementation of the new English translation of the Mass. This coming September, the bishops of England and Wales have instructed all parishes to begin using the new responses (e.g "And with your spirit"). The bishops of the Philippines have also set a date for effecting the change. Honestly, I am not looking forward to this. Apart from how it was imposed (from Rome to the local churches as opposed to the spirit of Vatican II) and how the local bishops didn't raise a finger to oppose such bullying, the use of words that are either archaic (e.g. "CONSUBSTANTIAL with the Father" vs "one being with the Father"))or controversial (e.g. "which will be poured out for you and for MANY" vs "which will be shed for you and for ALL)is quite disturbing when the Mass should be a sign of our unity as God's People.
No comments:
Post a Comment