By this time most schools in the Philippines would have already honoured their teachers in ways that would range from holding Masses, programmes, and gift givings. I'd like to devote this space to a former colleague in St Rita Hospital and College, the late Connie Navarra-Bautista, who passed away after a lingering illness on 18 January 2009. Ma'am Connie was a Filipino teacher in the High School Department and a Rizal lecturer in the College.
I have known her since childhood. My mom used to be the School Nurse and was based in what is now a property of San Miguel Corporation in Balut, Tondo, Manila. The clinic was very near the High School faculty room. Because of their proximity, it wasn't difficult for those working in the clinic and those in the faculty room to know each other. Due to familiarity, we kids would call these teachers as 'Tita' (Filipino version of 'Aunt'): Tita Connie, Tita Pat (Mrs Cleopatra Bautista, Principal), Tita Carmen (Mrs Carmelita Go, Math teacher), etc.
I later began to work with my 'Titas' when I coordinated religious events in St Rita and, when Tita Pat appointed me to teach Religion in their department (She would later stand down to give way for Ma'am Connie's ascent to the department's headship. For some reason, Ma'am Connie didn't stay there longer.). It was very easy to work with these ladies especially when I have to organise religious events with the high school students like Quiz contests, film showing, Masses, etc. They have developed through the years how to tap manpower where and when it is needed. Though it was a short stint, I have always treasured the experience I have had with them and with the students.
One of the last times I saw Ma'am Connie (For some reason, I called them Ma'am perhaps to stress my respect to them and their profession...), was during my younger sister Gisela's graduation. After that I rarely heard of her especially when the High School was closed and the College followed suit. Until I met Berwin, her son, who was a colleague in Singles for Christ in St Joseph Parish. I have actually been in contact with Berwin for most of the time then as we both were in the field of education and belong to the same household group in Singles. I never thought then that he and Ma'am Connie were related. It was only when we held our meeting at their home that I heard a familiar voice called 'Piet!'. That occasion allowed me to be reunited with her!
When I visited the Philippines in 2006, I once again met her - at St Rita where she was teaching again. She was very happy to see me and commended me for remembering my roots. The last news I have heard of her was rather sad. Mama sent me an e-mail telling me that ma'am Connie has a brain tumour and could no longer move most parts of her body. In a few days, on the feast of the Holy Child, she was gone.
Ma'am Connie was never my teacher, academically that is. I remembered when I was still in St Rita and needed to talk to someone to express my depression with my financial situation then, she lend me her ears. In her serious countenance, she urged me to keep on trying and show those people who look down on me that I could get myself out of my sorry condition. In effect she was teaching me to treat challenges as opportunities to become a much better person.
She was considered a terror teacher. Perhaps being a 'terror' is her way of challenging her students to excel in their studies and, later, in life. I was told that, over the years, she has mellowed. She may have, but I don't think it was to sacrifice every teacher's noble aim: to get the best out of their students. In a way she facilitated too the best out of me.
She has touched my life and the lives of many out there. May she now rest in the presence of the Great Master who told her: "Come, follow me!"
Friday, January 30, 2009
Tita Connie
Labels:
Connie Bautista,
education,
life,
St Rita Hospital
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment