Recalling the Spanish Era, you've heard of one uprising happening from one region to another, yet none of these lasted that long. The conquistadores were able to detect our weakspot - we have various dialects, hence Ilocanos would struggle communicating with Bicolanos, etc.
Remember the Marcos dictatorship. The opposition couldn't agree with themselves who will challenge this strongman.
Bring to mind what has happened in the recent Senate presidency election. The opposition in spite of the votes they have garnered last May, couldn't get its act together in electing a senate president because of some members' presidential ambitions in the next three years. Emil Jurado of Manila Standard Today pointed his finger on Panfilo Lacson and Mar Roxas.
And once you have divided your enemy/ies, you have the upperhand to rule them. Spaniards trample on the Indios. Marcos thrives with absolute power over the nation. Political ambitions stifle the nation's progress. The administration gets what it wants.
So the heat is on for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataang election in October. Five years ago, I ran for re-election as Barangay Kagawad. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the 'Magic 7' which is opposite to what happened to me ten years go when I garnered the highest number of votes.
The election in 2002 has been marred by intrigues and laglagan (betrayal). Too bad I was a victim. I looked like a 'kontrabida' (villain) when allegations were made that I evicted (nagpalayas) some residents from a house that sits on a property my family owns.
Then to add insult to injury, some voters wrote only the names of candidates (my running mates) who are their kapitbahay (neighbor) when it was agreed that each candidate would go for 'Vote Straight'.
Looking back, I am thankful to be freed from this thankless position so I can attend to more important matters.
For those interested to run in the election, Kaiingat kayo! (Beware!)
No comments:
Post a Comment