Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Playing God's Music






Playing God's Music
15 February 2007

Last Sunday we attended Mass at the Cathedral Church of St Barnabas. It has been three years since our last visit there. We arrived when the Final Song for the preceding Mass was being sung. As we waited for people to leave, I glanced at the bulletin board and read that the next Eucharistic celebration will be a High Mass.

Indeed it was, with almost all songs in Latin. Hence a different song book was distributed by the welcomers. The pipe organ was in its full power accompanying the choir. There are times when the congregation struggled to join in the singing. But it felt heavenly to simply be there!

Gagalangin used to have a High Mass during Msgr Federico Navarro's term in the mid 80s. The Sunday High Mass was scheduled every 7:30 am. One of those who took an active role in this was Ms Honorata Buenaventura (a.k.a.Tita Baby), the organist. Tita Baby played the pipe organ magnificently as the choir sang the "Missa de Angelis". For the Simbang Gabi, also classed as High Mass, she would accompany them in the "Missa Pastoril".

I have seen Tita Baby during our holiday at home. Nidz and I were invited to light the Advent candles in one of the Sunday Masses. It so happened that Tita Baby was the organist. Looking from where I was seated, I wondered why she could hardly stand straight. While on our way out of the church, we managed to have a chat with her. She told me she has arthritis and needed someone to look after her. I thought to myself that this was no longer the Tita Baby I knew. Yet my perception is being contested. She may have been afflicted with illness, but this never affected her. She is still serving the Church, playing the Lord's music for as long as He allows her to.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP