The True Award
22 February 2007
It was a Saturday evening. TA members were to meet at the St Joseph Parish Church patio on their way to Seaside for the last leg of our reunion. While waiting for colleagues, I asked Vlad Reyes to accompany me in viewing a marker situated on the one side of the church facade. The two older markers - Pajarillo and Guerrero editions, if I may call them- which used to be on the opposite side have already been dismantled.
The new marker tells a voluminous account of the parish history. As I began reading the very first sentence, I couldn't fail to spot right there and then an error. I asked Vlad to double-check just in case my eyes were failing me. Both of us agreed that marker got the wrong date when the parish was established (i.e. 15 December 1905). As one saying goes, "Sa simula pa lang, mali na!" (Wrong from the very beginning.)
If I am not mistaken, this marker was unveiled (by no one else but Cardinal Rosales), at the time when the parish gave me an award for the research I and my colleagues did to unearth the real birthday of the parish. I declined the recognition. Looking back, had I accepted the award I would really look stupid. The award is a complete bogus!
In the Gospel for Ash Wednesday, Jesus called His listeners to be true in their acts of charity, prayer, and fasting. He cited how some religious leaders would make a show of these in public. The Lord told the people that these hypocrites have already received their award on earth. I hope and pray that this Lenten season, I would try my best to be worthy of that award that comes only from God. His award is true. His award will never put me to shame.
The new marker tells a voluminous account of the parish history. As I began reading the very first sentence, I couldn't fail to spot right there and then an error. I asked Vlad to double-check just in case my eyes were failing me. Both of us agreed that marker got the wrong date when the parish was established (i.e. 15 December 1905). As one saying goes, "Sa simula pa lang, mali na!" (Wrong from the very beginning.)
If I am not mistaken, this marker was unveiled (by no one else but Cardinal Rosales), at the time when the parish gave me an award for the research I and my colleagues did to unearth the real birthday of the parish. I declined the recognition. Looking back, had I accepted the award I would really look stupid. The award is a complete bogus!
In the Gospel for Ash Wednesday, Jesus called His listeners to be true in their acts of charity, prayer, and fasting. He cited how some religious leaders would make a show of these in public. The Lord told the people that these hypocrites have already received their award on earth. I hope and pray that this Lenten season, I would try my best to be worthy of that award that comes only from God. His award is true. His award will never put me to shame.
No comments:
Post a Comment