These past few days I got an e-mail from Gary Ramos and Vhio Magtoto, fellow Letran High School batch mates, informing me of the demise of two former teachers: Ms Myrna Javiniar and Mrs Charito Ramos. I know these two ladies very well for they have been my teachers twice: Ms Javiniar was my teacher in General Science (First Year) and Chemistry (Third Year). She was also our Class Adviser in Third Year. Mrs Ramos was my Communication Arts (CA) English 1 and 3 teacher.
Ms Javiniar has sown in my then young mind the seeds of Chemistry. Modesty aside, I have excelled in that subject – a stark contrast to how I fared in my other science subjects. She saw my potential and, when it was nearly Boys’ Week (a week-long tradition in Letran wherein outstanding students act as teachers and administrators), she appointed me to handle her lessons. The topic then was stoichiometry, a branch of chemistry dealing with balancing chemical equations. At first I was hesitant, but she assured me of her trust and confidence in my capabilities. Such was the imprint she left in me that I never forgot Chemistry in college (and even after college!).
Mrs Ramos introduced us to English literature in both subjects. In First Year the subject focused on its development in the Philippines while in Third Year the emphasis was on its beginnings in the UK. These subjects were full of stories that, in order to make it more interesting, she had us dramatize them. I do remember myself acting as Macduff in Macbeth – one among many of William Shakespeare’s plays. Mrs Ramos is known to give small cards of recognition (signed by her, the principal, and the director) to students doing well in her subject – I was one of those. When I was a Freshman she encouraged me to participate in the Spelling Contest to which I was one of the Top 3.
In First Year, I struggled to get along with these teachers, Mrs Ramos in particular who, if I can borrow a batch mate’s description, is known for her “witty sarcasm”. I guess the reason why we met again in Third Year was to discover more ourselves and strengthen a bond that first came into light in First Year. As the saying goes, “Love is better the second time around.”
To these two great women, thank you for the support and concern you have showered me when I was your pupil. You have taught me more than what your subjects can cover. You have taught me the lessons of life. May the Great Master whose footsteps you have steadfastly followed welcome you in His glory!
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment