Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

An infamous apology

I can’t believe what I was hearing one night on ANC. Bishop Antonio Tobias of Novaliches, in his homily, was apologising to deposed president Joseph Estrada for the Catholic Church’s role in ousting him. Does this mean that Estrada is innocent after all? The bishop was quick to point out that he doesn’t favour Erap’s return to Malacañan. I could only imagine the church statues’ eyes widening. Jaime Cardinal Sin must have been turning on his grave. Bishop Tobias has been an outspoken critic of PGMA. Erap, obviously, wants Gloria out. Is Tobias’ apology an indication that he is joining forces with Erap in calling for the president’s resignation?

Ten years ago, Gagalangin invited Imelda Marcos to lead devotees in offering flowers to Our Lady. I criticised such a gesture because it only puts the Church in a very awkward position. Here’s another incident which is disappointing to the many men and women of the Church – bishops, priests, nuns, and lay faithful – who stood against evil people. If I may use again what I have wrote to the Editor of Today in 1996, Tobias’ apology is “…a spit on the face of the Church.”

At a time when the integrity of the Church has been undermined by scandals and what have you, the Novaliches Bishop’s apology is only self-serving.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP