These past few weeks, Nottingham (and the rest of the UK) have started experiencing improvements in the weather. The days have started getting longer – the sun was still up between 7:30 pm and 8:00 pm as of this writing. Nidz’s tulips and daffodils have bloomed. Trees and other plants that shed their leaves last autumn are beginning to show some ‘vital signs’. Birds of various species which have been out of sight during winter have returned. People start to shed off their coats and spend more time tending the garden. Spring has finally turned up!
As I observe and reflect on these, I cannot fail to recall that blessed day when Our Lord, after being buried under the earth for three days, rose from the dead. As spring has overcome winter, so has Jesus’ resurrection put an end to death.
Sometimes I keep on wondering why seasons change – spring, summer, autumn, winter or, if you use the Church’s calendar, Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time, Lent, Easter, Ordinary Time. Everything seems monotonous. If it’s autumn, the garden is full of dead leaves. If it’s summer, it’s hot. If it’s Lent, there’s a call for repentance. If it’s Easter, there’s a celebration of life in Jesus. A priest once told us that these seasons happen because we as humans need renewal. At the same time, he said, these changes show that God is faithful; no matter how often changes take place.
I hope and pray that we’ll truly enjoy the blessings of Easter, fully aware that Christ has risen and will always be here for us.
P. S. Last week saw us engaged in the events of Holy Week. One of the challenging parts for us at Anluwage was the Seven Last Words. I’m very grateful for those who accepted our invitation to share their reflection. Looking forward to another endeavour with you, guys!
Sunday, April 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment