I had a similar expression when Msgr David Forde knocked on my door 21 years ago. He explained that it was his practice - as parish priest- to visit new members of his flock. (Luckily I was at home and tidied up!) We talked about the Holy Week celebrations in the parish, the religious practices at home, etc. He was surprised to find out that in a big parish in the Philippines, there would be nine Masses on a Sunday! He encouraged me to participate further in the life of the parish. A few months later, I became a Mass reader. He took time to proofread and supported the publishing of the "Seven Sorrows and Seven Joys of St Joseph" (sevensorrowsandsevenjoysofstjoseph2015print version.pdf) in the parish and beyond.
There were other instances when Monsignor surprised me.
In one Mass where I was about to read the Prayer of the Faithful, he asked people to pray for Filipinos affected by the eruption of Mayon Volcano. I felt ashamed because, until that Mass, I never knew of this tragedy in our country despite having a Filipino channel in my telly.
On another occasion, as I was finishing my prayers in front of St Joseph's statue, he approached me to say that he would like me to become a foundation governor at St Margaret Clitherow Primary School. I was about to say no, but Monsignor assured me that I can do it.
When he was assigned to Holy Cross Parish (Hucknall) and later retired, I kept in touch with him via e-mail. Sometimes I also assisted him when he provided cover for our parish priest.
I was still in the US when I received an e-mail from him offering his sincere sympathy on the recent death of my father. He also told me that he will say Mass for the happy repose of Papa's soul. I don't recall informing him of Papa's demise. His message and prayers were much appreciated by the family. This was Msgr Forde's last surprise to me.
Like the Blessed Mother whose visit to the hill country of Judea surprised her cousin Elizabeth, Msgr Forde's actions surprised me. I believe that Monsignor mirrored the Immaculate Heart of Mary. He made such moves because his heart, like that of Mary's, was filled with charity. And when the heart is filled with charity, that charity is meant to be given away, to be shared. And what a surprise those good deeds are especially for those who cannot repay them such as "the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind..." (Lk 14:13).
Msgr Forde, many thanks for those surprising moments. Your gestures have affirmed my faith and strengthened my hope. I'm pretty much sure that others have a similar experience. Rest assured that we will continue your legacy. May Jesus the Eternal High Priest along with the Blessed Mother, angels, and saints welcome you into His kingdom. We love you!
2 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to an amazing brother Priest!
My husband and I moved to Nottingham in 1992 and attended Mass at St Barnabas Cathedral on the first Sunday after our arrival from London. As we left after Mass Monsignor (Canon at the time) greeted us a recognised we were visitors. He asked for our names and welcomed us to Nottingham. We attended Mass there the following week and he greeted us by name! We were astonished that he could remember our names having met us just once. He remains in our hearts and prayers always. God bless you dear Monsignor Forde may you rest in peace. š❤️
Post a Comment