Powered by Blogger.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Feedback Wednesday


A few Wednesdays back, I returned students' assignments and asked them to have a look at their results. I told them too to read my feedback which was written on some parts of their assignment. Not long after, a student raised his hand to say "I do not understand your handwriting!" I must admit that my handwriting isn't really good and so I sat next to the student to read for him what I wrote and to explain further. Later, I saw myself moving from one table to another to talk to students. 

After lunch break, I had another lesson, but this time with two colleagues observing me. Everything has been planned beforehand: register, experiment handouts, etc. However, the technician was absent. Hence, no experiment was prepared. Just the same, "the show must go on". I have to rejig the lesson plan and made it more interactive. A group of students have to complete the missing words in the experiment handout, another group have to put the experiment method in logical order, and another group have to design the experiment. I felt as though my plan won't work, that students would complain, etc. I was amazed, especially with the last two groups, for being proactive. As I move around the classroom, I was able to see how they work, ask questions, and give feedback based on their answers.

After those two sessions, tiring as it may be talking to students one by one and oftentimes repeating myself, I felt satisfied. I may not have taught the students principles and theories, but having that conversation with them was truly a learning experience.

Feedback is a useful tool in teaching because it allows teachers to guide their students and prepare them for their summative assessment. In other fields it is also necessary. Customers feedback a company on the service they provide. Managers feedback staff on their performance. I remember our Faith Section Editor Ana Balla, during the early years of my editorship, to give feedback to our writers because, according to her, it was a way to further develop them. Indeed, it is a useful tool to highlight a writer's strengths and areas for development. For sure, they have appreciated it.

As the Teacher Himself, Jesus gave feedback to people. Remember His conversation with the rich man who wanted to gain eternal life? Or perhaps His comments on His apostles who argued as who is the greatest in God's kingdom? Or how about that exchange of words between Him and the Syro-phoenician woman? 

Some took His feedback to heart, while others scoffed at it. Worse, those not satisfied with it plotted His death. Indeed, not all feedback would be heeded. Lazy students won't be bothered to shape up. Companies may not care about clients' views. Workers might take their boss for granted.  



Holy Week is dawning upon us! I think, Jesus' best feedback was delivered as He was crucified. If you want to know more about it, then please join us in our online devotion The Seven Last Words starting 25 March, Palm Sunday. 


No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP