Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 27, 2017

Tito Ponso


He was a respected resident in the neighborhood, no wonder he was elected for a number of years as a barangay councilor. He was also an active member of the Knights of Columbus as well as the Special Minister of Holy Communion. He was our family dentist. he was my uncle, the late Dr Alfonso "Tito Ponso" Esquillo Sr.

I enjoyed the conversations I had with Tito Ponso, be it the parish, politics, or the nitty-gritty of serving in the barangay. When I was elected Barangay Kagawad in 1997, I learned a lot from such seasoned kagawad. Listening to his explanation of legislation in simple terms, I thought to myself "Dapat nag-abogado si Tito Ponso!" (Tito Ponso should have been a lawyer!). Unfortunately, some of his sensible proposals for the barangay fell on ears that have become deaf due to partisan politics.

He was also a man of prayer. When all barangay officials of Manila gathered in Baguio City for a training seminar, we councilors from Barangay 170 stayed in 1 room. In the morning, while other roommates were busy fixing themselves or watching the television, Tito Ponso was sat in one corner reading his prayer book. On the lighter side, when our seminar was over and we had plenty of time before boarding for Manila, he persuaded us to go visit places in the Pine City such as Mines View Park, Burnham Park, etc.

A silent type of person, he was a great family man. Together with his wife Tita Laling, they looked after their children and grandchildren. At home, I would see him either cooking or bringing/fetching a grandchild to/from school. I would bump into him in the bakery across the road on a few early mornings to buy hot pan de sal. I have also felt a fatherly concern from him when he personally corrected me about a misdemeanor. 

What touched me most about Tito Ponso was how he cared for Tita Laling, especially in her old age. In my latest visit to them, she was already bedridden. And Tito Ponso was there by her side, tending to her. In spite of his own illness, he was her strength. The words of the marriage vows - "For better or for worse, in sickness and in health..." - ring a bell. 

His passing away last Tuesday came as a shock. He will be sorely missed. His life and lessons always to be cherished.  Salamat po, Tito Ponso. May God bless your kind soul.

My heart goes out to Tita Laling, cousins, nephews and nieces in this time of bereavement.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP