August 25, 2015. The second day of my second visit to the Big Apple. It was a hot day in New York. After having breakfast, my younger brother Gio and I made our way from Queens to Manhattan via train and then headed to Staten Island via ferry to see our dad. I told my wife that on our way, I would like to visit the Shrine of St Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first native-born citizen of the US to become saint, which was just across the ferry station.
We intended to take the 10:30 am ferry ride and ran as fast as we could, but a member of staff has signaled that the gates are closed. The next ferry will be in the next 30 minutes. Perhaps this was a sign to visit the shrine across the street!
I have seen the façade of this church during my first visit to New York in 2012, but didn't have the chance to enter it. The church is actually dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. How did it become a shrine of St Elizabeth? The church is actually located on what used to be the saint's house. On one corner of this small church, one could find a statue of St Elizabeth as well as paintings depicting her life story.
Gio and I went to a pew and spent a few minutes in prayer. Then, I approached the main altar to marvel at the stained glass featuring some important events in the life of St Elizabeth. To the right of the main altar is a statue of Our Lady and the Child Jesus. I approached this too and said a prayer to the Blessed Mother. I took a photo of the statue and wondered, how come the Virgin nor the Lord is not holding a rosary? Surely, if this is the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary then there should be a rosary similar to statues like that of Our Lady of Fatima or Our Lady of La Naval or Our Lady of Manaoag?
A few weeks back, on the Eve of the Assumption of Mary, Cardinal Chito Tagle of Manila, said "Magpractice na tayo ng langit dito sa lupa. Practice makes perfect. Gusto natin ng langit, magpractice na dito. Eh ang langit ay never-ending communion with Jesus. Practice na ngayon! Sige na! katulad ni Maria: joyous, sorrowful, luminous, glorious, always with Jesus".
Reflecting on what the good cardinal said, could it be that the statue is telling me - and all other devotees - to become Mary's living rosary, to mirror the various mysteries wherein both Mother and Child were united? I'm sure if we do so, we would be able to convince more people to appreciate this devotion, to love Mary, and ultimately to love Jesus.
October is just around the corner, that month dedicated to the recitation of the Holy Rosary. As we once again observe this revered devotion, as we lovingly repeat the Hail Mary, let our hearts say to Our Lady "Yes, Mama Mary we would like to become your rosary. Help us to reflect your virtues. Help us to be like you, constantly united with Jesus in spite of what life throws at us".


No comments:
Post a Comment