Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Vlad


Mike Flores, Richard Leyson, and I formed a triumvirate in the Lectors/Commentators Group in Gagalangin ages ago.  In one of our gatherings (or drinking sprees?), Pareng Richard would often mention Vladimir, his high school classmate and friend.  Mike and I would keep on asking him about this guy.  (Don't know why. Perhaps because of his uncommon name!) One day in early 1993, he brought us to Vlad's place along Juan Luna Street, a few houses away from the church.  On seeing me, he told me how often I would walk past their house. Indeed, I wouldn't miss his place as I have friends and acquaintances who live nearby.  

Summertime of the same year, Tanghalang Anluwage (TA) went for an outing in Batangas courtesy of our friend Fr Romy Antimano who was then a guest priest in the parish. The outing seemed oversubscribed that a few of us were unable to ride on the hired jeepney. Vlad and I and (I think) two more members have to commute. No idea where we're heading, but we carried on. Luckily, we made it!

When I assumed the Editorship of Ang Pahayagang Anluwage, there was a need for someone to look after the newsletter's funds.  I tapped Vlad who willingly accepted the role. It was a blessing that Vlad was appointed because as we were getting ready for our December issue, we received more advertisement sponsors than expected.

Vlad also had the skills in electronics and have often been in-charge of the lights and sounds aspect of any TA or parish sanctioned event such as the Easter Vigil Mass, the various awards ceremonies, etc.

But I think Vlad got a break when his artistic side came about.  The first breaks came about when he composed some songs for the "Pitong Hapis, Pitong Tuwa (Ang Dula ng Buhay ni San Jose)" in 1997 and 1998 and when he became Director of "Kasalan sa Likod ng Simbahan" (a play written by Bienvenido Noriega) in December 1997.  These were followed by other directing and acting roles in TA. I enjoyed working with him in most of these 'breaks', particularly when I wrote the script for Pitong Hapis and performed as Mang Ponso in Kasalan.

I vividly remember those times when he remarked how 'talkative' was St Joseph in Pitong Hapis when the he didn't utter a single word in the Bible.  (When I performed as St Joseph in the Maytinis celebration in the States, I also had a similar observation - St Joseph had more to sing in the script than the Virgin Mary!).  Looking back, those works of art deliberately embellished St Joseph's character to make up for the scarcity in Sacred Scriptures.

I could also recall how we have to rehearse the script in one corner of the Rotonda or internalize how it is to be an old man carrying his beloved (an old woman) as they went up the stage.

As director, and later as President of the group, Vlad treated us as adults. His common expression was "Matatanda na kayo, hindi na ninyo kailangang turuan" (or words to that effect). Although there is that degree of trust that he gave us, he didn't spare us some tongue-lashing when we made one stinking performance in Kasalan. 

Vlad later branched out of Gagalangin by serving as a lector/commentator at the Manila Cathedral since 2002.  He would later become elected as coordinator for the group. I feel proud that he has remained in the ministry in my beloved church in spite us  - Richard, Art Reyes, Al Reyes, and I - going abroad after serving there.

Above all the titles, positions, and responsibilities he held, Vlad is my friend. Through the years we have been in Anluwage, that friendship developed. We shared some similarities such as being both Taurus and avid listeners of classical music. We were also both devotees of Our Lady of the Rosary of La Naval de Manila. I am thankful that he keeps me updated with videos and photos taken during the annual fiesta on the second of October. I feel as though I was in Santo Domingo Church all along!

As a friend, Vlad  is someone I could open up to; someone who would offer me a bike ride when I got stuck somewhere in the metropolis; someone I could barge into even in the dead of the night; someone who would tell me if I am right, wrong, or stupid without any qualms. 

Vlad, I am blessed to have you as my friend. I wish you all the best as you turn 40. It's not that scary, believe me! You just have to look after yourself: choose to be happy, pray more, expect less, be grateful, enjoy life!  Keep up the good work! God bless you!







No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP