I am pleased that Pope Francis has confirmed the late Archbishop Oscar Romero as a martyr of the Church, as someone who was killed because of hatred of the faith. With this development, his road to sainthood is unblocked. (I'm sure my fellow writer Fr Shay Cullen is also delighted.)
Romero was archbishop of San Salvador (El Salvador) from 1977 to 1980. Initially considered as a conservative and was therefore seen as a contravida by progressive priests in the archdiocese, he became outspoken following the murder of his friend Fr Rutilio Grande SJ (Grande's cause for sainthood is under way.). He said "When I looked at Rutilio lying there dead I thought, 'If they have killed him for doing what he did, then I too have to walk the same path".
If you haven't yet watched the movie "Romero", a film on the life of the Archbishop produced in 1989, I suggest you watch it!
Living the faith 24/7 , in and out of the church, is a call for all. Dying for the faith is for a privileged few. Romero trod that path and by doing so, woke up a Church from its deep slumber of apathy to become once more a community working for justice and peace (Acts 2:44-45), a people who, like their founder, have been anointed to bring the Good News to the poor (Lk 4:18). Indeed, as Tertulian once said "The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Church".
Romero's declaration as a martyr is good news not only to our brothers and sisters in South America; it is also a good news to all parts of the world where there is poverty, injustice, and oppression. As our own country celebrates the Year of the Poor, may we all see in Romero a champion, an inspiration, a heavenly intercessor.
Arzobispo Oscar Romero, Martir, ruega por nosotros!




No comments:
Post a Comment