Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiæ,vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
These are the first lines of a popular Marian song sung at many churches in the Philippines in May. The first time I heard the Salve Regina, I was a little kid attending Mass at the St Rita Hospital Chapel many summers ago. It was the closing song sung by my late grandparents during May. While they are making a duet, some attendees would place flowers on the altar table for the Blessed Virgin.
Since then, every time I hear this song, I have a feeling that something is going to happen. For example, in Gagalangin church (as well as other churches for sure), once the Salve is intoned by the priest, the statue of Mary is incensed. This is followed later by sprinkling holy water to all devotees present.
During our visit to relatives in Staten Island, New York in 2012, my uncles and aunts asked me to say "Grace before Meals". I agreed. For some reason, after the prayer I intoned the Salve. I thought I would be doing a solo, but lo and behold, others gathered especially my uncles sang! Nidz told me that even Chiara was singing. (See, something has happened!) I imagine how our forebears would have smiled at the sight!
When Chiara was still 2-3 years old, I once sang this song to her. She kept on looking at me and then when I finished she said "Ang galing!" (Excellent). Now, she could sing it on her own! Part of our night prayers for quite some time now is singing this beautiful song. One time my daughter was too tired so I told her just to close her eyes while I sing. I thought of doing this because the Salve is like a goodnight kiss to Mama Mary. As we entrust ourselves (when we were kids) to our earthly mothers as we go to bed, so now we confide ourselves to our heavenly mother. Before you know it, something has happened - another day has dawned. Our mission continues!
I have always believed that the Blessed Mother has been praying for me, her unworthy son, through and through. In the many ups and downs of life, I have sought her maternal care and protection and I have never been turned down.
I have always believed that the Blessed Mother has been praying for me, her unworthy son, through and through. In the many ups and downs of life, I have sought her maternal care and protection and I have never been turned down.
I'm turning 40 on the 20th. As I look back at those many years - of fruits coupled with thorns, triumphs hand in hand with failures, light constantly challenged by darkness, friends mixed with foes - I believe that God has plans for me, that something in His own time and fashion is going to happen. Like Mary and her husband Joseph, may I have a heart which is open, humble, thankful, and trustful.
(Pray for us O Holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.)


1 comment:
Salve Regina is a favorite of mine!
Post a Comment