Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Old Twigs Must Go


I mowed the lawn a few hours ago, grabbing the opportunity while the weather is fine.  I watered our hydrangeas. Months ago, during the dead of winter, I pity how these plants looked like. Their green leaves have been soggy like spinach leaves being cooked.  Later on, these leaves wither. So too the flowers.  

Then came spring.  The once 'dead' plants started to come alive. The once lifeless hydrangeas (and other plants) have begun to show their leaves.  However, I noticed that there were still old twigs which we haven't cut in late winter.  Strangely, from the same branch where the twigs are, I've seen new green leaves.  To allow the new leaves to flourish, I cut the old twigs (without touching the areas where there are new leaves).  

In a few hours it's already Easter Sunday, that momentous day when Jesus triumphed over sin and death. When Jesus gave a new meaning to our lives. 

I guess we're like those hydrangeas - once dead in the winter of sin and now alive in the spring of Jesus' Resurrection. I guess we too have those old twigs in us - be it those old habits that won't easily die, events in the past that we couldn't get over with, wounds that seem difficult to heal, or sins.  And yet God, in His mysterious plans and unfathomable wisdom, drew new life, drew new beginning, new opportunities, new us out of the bad and unpleasant in us.


The apostles - Peter especially - felt ashamed when the Risen Lord appeared before them.  Just three days ago, they deserted Him. They felt undeserving of such a kind gesture from their Master.  I'm sure we too have the same feeling.  And yet, Jesus tells us "But be brave! I have defeated the world" (John 16:33).

As we celebrate this great feast of the Church, let us take to heart the Lord's words. Let us get rid of the old unnecessary twigs in our lives to give way to new life, new life in Jesus.

Happy Easter!

***

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you, dear readers for supporting our Holy Week special, The Seven Last Words (TSLW). Way back in 2005, when we begun this online devotion, we never thought we would reach this year.  Next year, God willing,will be TSLW 10th anniversary. Ditto the web's.  

Special thanks go to our 7 reflection writers: Rene Paguntalan, Chris Sumague, Carlo Alexis Malaluan, Anabelle Payod-Balla, Nexus-Renaissance Mina, Fidji Rivera-Sarmiento, and Kristine Tangco. Thank you to Archbishop Socrates Villegas and Grace Madrinan for writing the Prologue and Epilogue respectively;  Allan Dabu for designing our poster; Marou Pahati-Sarne and Beth Eguia for helping us in inviting writers; and last but not least Mike Flores for designing our layout. May God bless you all!

Next year, as it's the Year for Consecrated Life, we're looking for religious men and women to be part of our writers. I know this is too early to ask, but if you know someone who could be of help please let us know. Thanks.




No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP