During our Rosary devotion a few nights ago, the topic for our sharing was on the best lesson in life taught to us by our mothers. This topic was inspired by the role that Mary played as Mother of Jesus, who became Man to be our Saviour.
For me, the best lesson I learned from my mother is to practice humility. As a kid, she would always remind me to refrain from being mapagmalaki (haughty). As concrete examples of humility, she exhorted me to acknowledge a debt of gratitude to those who have helped me, to treat others, regardless of their shortcomings, with diplomasya (respect), to be open to correction (and other lessons imparted by experience and people), and to be thankful for whatever God has given me.
There were instances that I took humility to the extreme (i.e. self-pity) and she cautioned me not to go that way otherwise it would be impossible for me to overcome any trials that is thrown my way.
This Year of Faith, we are called to revisit and rekindle on what we believe in. It is good to take that moment to have another look at the tenets of our faith. Why do we believe in one God? Is Jesus really present in the form of bread and wine at the words of Consecration? How come Mary was immaculately conceived in her mother's womb? Why confess your sins to a priest who is also human like us? Is there life after death? These and many questions on our faith abound. And yet, we have faith. I'm sure that faith is sustained by humility. For how can we adhere to these truths if we are full of ourselves, if we are not open, if we are proud? Indeed, as St Augustine once said "Humility must accompany all our actions, must be with us everywhere; for as soon as we glory in our good works they are of no further value to our advancement in virtue".
Ma, thank you for teaching me the virtue of humility. I must admit that there are still moments when it's much easier for me to be proud than to be humble. And yet, I've seen the sad and bad consequences of my mistakes as well as the good fruits of being down to earth. I will keep on doing as you have taught me so that I would be worthy of God's favour.
Happy Birthday, 'ma! May Jesus, who is meek and humble of heart, grant you a long, healthy, and holy life. May Mama Mary continue to watch over you so you may reflect her motherly love to us, your children and grandchildren.
Love, kisses, and prayers from your first baby :)

No comments:
Post a Comment