Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Domesticated Truth


Being a Martial Law baby, everything that I could see on TV, read on the newspapers, or hear from the radio were good - the economy was doing well, there was peace and order, everyone  seemed happy. Ferdinand Marcos was our champion. He was the country's savior.

That mindset was shattered that fateful 21st day of August 1983.  It was a Sunday and as I watching TV, there was this scene of a lifeless man clad in white on the tarmac of what was then the Manila International Airport.  I heard from the newscaster that the man was assassinated (that word was new to me then!).   Who was this man I slowly found out as the days went by.

Angelicum School (now College), where my brother, cousins, and I were studying at that time suddenly became encircled by a rosary of people making their way to neighboring Sto. Domingo Church where this man's remains lied in state.

I read in the papers that he was Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino Jr, a senator of the Philippines until Martial Law abolished Congress, gagged media, and trampled on human rights.  But what made my eyes really open were accounts I heard from Manong Teddyboy, my first cousin who was older than me. 

Manong Teddyboy, being the eldest among the magpipinsan, would discuss with us (while riding our grandparents' Ford Fiera to and from school) who Ninoy was and his struggles. If I remember it correctly, my cousin didn't mince words to say that the dictator was the one responsible for Ninoy's assassination.  At first, I was shocked. Could Marcos, the country's champion, do it?  

In spite of that shock, I gradually started to look at our country with a different pair of eyes.  The truth that was domesticated by the dictatorship, the kind of truth that is in favor of Marcos' Bagong Lipunan has been replaced by the real truth embodied Ninoy's bloodied corpse. Doña Aurora Aquino, Ninoy's mother, when asked why she didn't have the remains cleansed and dressed up, said she wanted people to see what Ninoy's adversaries did to him.

Distressing as it may be to the beholder, people viewing Ninoy took away with them a true sense of the nation's situation, a nation that was in tatters not the one that Imelda tried to portray via her fine terno, jewelry, and signature umbrella.  That fateful day in August 30 years ago sparked the need for change. It took three more years for that to happen when Marcos fled and Cory assumed the presidency.

Through Ninoy's death, democracy was restored. And so, since 1986 we have been enjoying freedom of the press, check and balance of the three branches of government, our right to elect, etc.  It is annoying to hear people say "Walang nangyayaring ganyan noong panahon ni Marcos" (Nothing of that sort happened during Marcos' time.). Well, our media was gagged during his time and so only the domesticated truths are known. To say that nothing vile happened during the dictatorship is 100% non-sense!

We complain about the corruption and callousness of our leaders, the PDAF scam, etc.  Who said that the truth will all be pleasant and favorable?  Even Jesus told His disciples that the road to salvation isn't easy.  Didn't John the Baptist forewarn his audience that the Promised Messiah will baptize them with the Holy Spirit and fire (ouch!)?

Let's face it. Democracy has its defects. It may not cure graft and corruption. Investigations may go on ad nauseam.  The truth it promotes or aspires to uphold may be ugly, painful, or divisive.  Still, it is the truth. Live with it! 






No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP