Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tia Lils

June is almost over and, looking back, I found that all my articles this month were tributes to various people very near to my heart.  My first article was on a birthday. With your indulgence, I'll close this month off with still another birthday to be celebrated on June 30.


Lilia "Tia Lils" Reyes is my mother's older sister; the third child (first daughter) in a brood of 10.  When we were kids, we've often visited and stayed in her place in Kawit, Cavite during vacations. Her 3 sons Alvin, Erwin, and Eldin are like brothers to us - we grew up with them! Manong Alvin, the eldest, is our Big Brother if you like.  When my parents went abroad, Tia Lils welcomed us in her home. 

Personally, I learned a lot in their house: how to fetch water from the poso (artesian well) - water pipes were not available in houses during those times (if they do, water in Poblacion then was a bit salty so I have to fetch water from neighbouring Kaingen); how to clean the house; how to go to the market; how to become more responsible in the household, etc.  Some of my classmates would notice how I would go home straight from school and be surprised to see me in Kaingen carrying a pail of water or pumping the poso in a jiffy.  The experience gave me pride in doing menial jobs which is why every time we go to their place, we acted as though we're part of the household!

It was also during our stay with them that my faith took me to another dimension: being an active member in the Christian community. I had my first taste of being part of the block rosary and the Basic Christian Community.  Being religious herself, I imitated Tia Lils' devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St Joseph.  Almost every evening, we gather to pray the Angelus and Rosary. When they would visit us in Gagalangin, I often asked if we could say the Rosary together which she obliged.  I am touched every time she blesses us when we do the Mano Po  (a Filipino custom where people place and elder's right hand on their forehead asking for their blessing).

Tia Lils valued hardwork, thriftiness, prudence, and good relationship with others.  She would always tell us that there is a time for us to work (e.g. clean the house) and a time to relax and have fun.  That's why when it's a weekend or schools are closed, we make it a point in the morning to be on our toes after having breakfast - one's busy with scrubbing the floor, another fetching water, etc. 

As a homemaker, she is excellent in budgeting/saving for the future.  When Tito Jimmy, her husband (who used to live in Gagalangin), was working in the Middle East, she saved enough for her sons' education and managed to have a new house built.  She often told us the importance of saving, otherwise we might end up with nothing when we needed something!

She was careful with her words and would always remind us to think 10 times before we say something.  Kids at that time, I was madaldal and I often caught myself reaping the whirlwind because of the inappropriate words I uttered.

Finally, she fostered harmonious relationship with people around her.  "Sinasayawan ko na lang" was her common expression with people who can be difficult to work with. Her advice to anyone working abroad: "Matuto kang makisama". I often hear her use the word kapatid (sibling) instead of pinsan (cousin) regardless if she speaks to her kids, nephews or nieces (e.g. "Kumain na ba mga kapatid ninyo?").  Incidentally, in Jesus' time (and perhaps now) there is no Aramaic equivalent for the word "cousin", hence, in the Bible you would read the words "brothers of Jesus".  Tia Lils, by the way, is also called Nanay Iya.
 
She always tells me: Ang gumagalang sa kanyang ama ay nagbabayad ng kanyang kasalanan; ang gumagalang sa kanyang ina'y nag-iipon ng kayamanan (Ecclesiasticus 3:3).

Happy 80th birthday, Tia Lils!  Thank you for loving and supporting us all through and through.  Your strong faith, words of wisdom, and gentle care are treasures we will cherish in our hearts.  You are always in my thoughts and prayers.  May God continue to bless you! We love you!



1 comment:

Mario V. Albano said...

Happy Birthday Manang Lilia! You are blessed! Thanks for your strong guidance during our kids' formative years; we'd all have been lost and scattered without your support and kindness.

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP