When Chiara looks at the statue or image of the Holy Family, she would identify its three members as “Baby Jesus, Mary, and Jesus”. Calling Joseph as ‘Jesus’ by a 4 year old kid is understandable - she might have been confused with other statues of Jesus depicted as a man rather than an infant. Apart from that, during Jesus' time men wore long hairs and don't shave - Joseph and Jesus would then look identical. I am pretty much sure that St Joseph won’t mind being mistaken as Jesus (without claiming to be Jesus).
Reading on the scarce information we have in Sacred Scriptures on this lovely man, we see him as someone who worked behind the scenes. Someone who would defer his place for others.
In the Gospel reading during Ash Wednesday, Jesus cautioned his followers not to imitate the Pharisees who love to hog the limelight. I think the Lord was thinking of how his foster father conducted his life when He criticised the Pharisees.
We’re nearing Holy Week and during these past few weeks of Lent we have prayed, fasted, abstained, gave alms, and performed other spiritual exercises. Ideally, through these exercises there is a 'dying to one's self' that should happen. Most of the time though, it’s easier to fall into the trap of being showy than dying to one's self because it’s human nature to crave for popularity and recognition, to choose one's 'survival' over 'death'.
As we celebrate St Joseph’s feast day on the 19th, let’s ask that he would continuously inspire and intercede for us so that:
1.) in prayer, we may truly experience God and by doing so, we would reveal more His loving gaze and sweet smile to all;
2.) in our sacrifices, we may depend more on God's providence than our own and therefore become more humble and trusting in Him;
3.) in our acts of charity, we may see the Lord in others and identify ourselves as mere stewards of His blessings.
In a nutshell, may our lives be eclipsed by that of Jesus so we may be truly known as His alter ego, His other selves!
***
Habemus Papam! I was about to have my dinner that fateful night of March 13 when I checked my Facebook account and saw a picture of the Sistine Chapel’s chimney emitting white smoke. I rushed to the living room and asked Chiara if I could switch to the news channel. The girl obliged (after some lambing) and I waited patiently for the announcement from the balcony of St Peter’s Basilica.
Everyone seemed to have held their breath while Cardinal Tauran announced who the new pope is. Chiara was getting impatient and wanted me to switch back to Cartoonito. Her mom told her that this was a once in a lifetime moment. She complied.
As I heard the word ‘Bergoglio’ I applauded! A few days after Benedict XVI resigned, I had a chat with an Italian work colleague about who are the Italian papabili (papal contenders). He told me that we need someone from Latin America. I floated the name of Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (then Archbishop of Buenos Aires). He agreed with me. Though aged 76, he comes across as a strong and able leader. Yet what touched me about this man was his humility and openness to people. His first words were: "Buonasera" (Good evening) which elicited an applause from his audience and even a similar greeting from my daughter. The pope, surprisingly didn't introduced himself as 'pope' but as 'bishop' - indeed the Pope is Bishop of Rome and as such is primus inter pares (first among equals) in the college of bishops. I'm glad he introduced himself as such and I have that impression that he values the collegiality of bishops which has been 'bypassed' by the previous administration. Also, in his first Urbi et Orbi message, he is telling the people - ordained and lay alike - that we're all in the Church and should work together.
What touched me was when he asked people to pray, first for his predecessor, and then for himself, before he gave his first blessing as Supreme Pontiff. Won't it be a good idea if priests ask their congregation to pray for them before he gives the Blessing in the Mass?
By choosing the name Francis (after that of St Francis of Assisi), he seems to be telling us that his papacy would embrace the values of this great and revolutionary saint: poverty, peace, and ecology.
I note that he will be inaugurated on the Solemnity of St Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church. Let's all pray for Pope Francis that like St Joseph, he will be open to the Holy Spirit's guidance as he leads, nurtures, and revitalise the Church.
Viva il Papa Francesco!


2 comments:
I see that Chiara is your source of inspiration!
We are all glad the College of Cardinals did not take long to elect the successor to Pope Benedict! Viva Il Papa!
What an inspiring post, Pietro! As always...Yes, let's pray that the whole world waiting for 'change and reform' discern where it should happen as Cardinal Timothy Dolan of NY said in his homily in a chapel of the Vatican before the conclave, and that is, 'within us' who should be asking 'What is God asking of us?'.
On his first day as Pope Francis 1, it does seem apparent what kind of change will breeze into our Church. Thanks so much, Pietro.
Post a Comment