Happy New Year, dear readers!
As we welcome the New Year, it's important to look back at the year that was, count one's blessings, take on board the lessons learned, and then move on. I came across 3 people in 2012 whose wisdom I truly admire. Unfortunately, all of them have already passed away, but their contribution to society will always be celebrated. Friends, here's my Three Wise Men of 2012!
Fr. James B Reuter, SJ (21 May 1916-31 December 2012) was an American Jesuit priest who moved from Pennsylvania to the Philippines at the age of 22 and remained in the country since then. Fr Jim is known for his great contribution in the Family Rosary Crusade in the Philippines and the Philippine Chapter of the Jesuits Engaged in Social Communications (JESCOM). I once met him when Ambassador Alfonso Yuchengco hosted a lunch in San Carlos Seminary in 1991. We shared the same table and while most of us were using our spoon and fork while eating chicken, he was using his hand (which was the right thing to do)! According to the Philippine Daily Inquirer's editorial "Great Soul" (1 January 2013), Fr Jim was quoted to have said 2 years ago, “When I first came here, I thought I was bringing God to the Philippines. But what I discovered was [the Filipinos] brought God to me.” Fr Jim fascinated me with his wisdom in utilizing mass media and other possible means to evangelize people to the full.
Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, SJ (15 February 1927-31 August 2012) was an Italian Jesuit and a prince of the Catholic Church. It was said that progressive Catholics hoped he would become pope, but because of his liberal views and frailty, that was a far-fetched dream. When Pope Benedict XVI resurrected the Tridentine Mass (now known as the Extraordinary Form of the Mass) in 2007, Cardinal Martini refused to say that Mass (I must say I am not happy either with this papal move. This and the new English translation of the Mass has further divided our fragmented Church!). In 2004, he called for a greater collegiality in the governance of the Church (Clap! Clap! Clap!). He once said that "...there are, in the Church, some wise people who have ways of making their voices heard other than a simple vote." In the final interview he called the Church as "200 years out of date" and added that, "Our culture has aged, our churches are big and empty and the church bureaucracy rises up, our rituals and our cassocks are pompous". Controversial as they may sound to be, I find in Cardinal Martini's views the reality of Church affairs (especially here in Europe) and, more importantly, the wisdom that challenges us to think out of the box.
Hon. Jesus M Robredo (27 May 1958-18 August 2012) was a Chinese Filipino who served as Acting Secretary of the Interior and Local Government in the Aquino Administration (2010-2012). A Mayor of Naga City for 19 years, he transformed the city to being one of the "Most Improved Cities in Asia" (Asiaweek, 1999). A man known for having no ere, Secretary Jesse led a simple life in spite the many temptations and perks of being a politician. As mayor, he would be seen in his bike making the rounds or doing menial work such as shovelling to protect a building from floods when a typhoon was about to hit his city. He didn't favor political dynasties which is why when his term expired as mayor, no one from his family ran. He was one of the good guys in the Aquino administration. It was a shame that the Commission of Appointments bypassed his appointment not once, but twice. It only gave in to public ascent when Robredo died in a plane crash on his way back to his family in Naga after the conference in Cebu. "Aanhin pa ang damo kung patay na ang kabayo," I quipped. Secretary Jesse once said "We do not need another EDSA… for our country to move ahead. EDSA must be everyday. That means everyone understands he has an obligation to serve. That means reform is an every day activity. That means the daily grind is more important than the one-time heroic moment.” I tip my hat to this beloved statesman for his wisdom to be of humble service to his countrymen to the end.



1 comment:
Thanks, Pietro, it is extremely difficult to choose a role model, but you picked 3 great ones!
Post a Comment