For Mary, the Holy Spirit has been a reliable companion. At the Annunciation, she was filled with the Holy Spirit so she can be the Mother of our Lord. That same Spirit led her to visit her elderly and pregnant cousin Elizabeth in spite of being pregnant herself. At Pentecost, she once again received the Holy Spirit so she can be the Mother of the Church, the Mother of us all!
Mary’s title as “Mother of the Church” should not to be treated lightly though. There is a legend that when Mary moved with St. John the Apostle to a Turkish city called Efes, she would be the first coming to the aid of her neighbors who were ill, hungry, and so on and so forth. She was fondly called “The Lady with the Blackened Feet” in admiration for her feet which have become grimy from running to those in need.
Fr. Richard Veras once wrote “The coming of the Holy Spirit is indispensable. Without the Holy Spirit’s coming continually to make the risen Lord tangibly present, the incarnation and the Resurrection would be events that never reach me and never touch me. I know of these events; I place my faith in these events; I am changed by these events because they are made mysteriously present in the community of the Church.”
As we celebrate our birthday as a community of Christ’s believers on this feast of Pentecost, may we be filled with the Holy Spirit so that we may do our share in proclaiming the Good News wherever we are, in continuing Christ’s mission here on earth, and in treating others as brothers and sisters. If we do so, we would be able to build up a healthy and holy community where God reigns and is experienced by all.
May Mama Mary inspire and pray for us always.
It’s nice to be back! My family and I spent 5 days in Disneyland Paris last week. I originally thought that only Chiara would enjoy it, but I was wrong. I have shunned roller coaster rides for ages as I was afraid of heights. But guess what? For 1 day, I had 5 challenging rides. Though I got dizzy afterwards, I actually felt refreshed. For me, those rides were great stress-removers! Of course, Chiara was the most happiest child having been able to see Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto, and the Princesses – Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Arielle, Rapunzel, etc.
Those moments are indeed precious and spirit-lifting! A bientot, Disneyland Paris!

No comments:
Post a Comment