The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception today gives us a feel of how Christmas is fast approaching. Not because on this day we celebrate Mary conceiving Jesus in her womb – a misconception that I have discovered in a recent survey held by Tanghalang Anluwage on its Facebook page – but because Mary, the future Mother of Jesus, was conceived without sin in her mother’s womb!
Part of the confusion perhaps was due to the Gospel reading (see our God-speak special edition on this feast day) where the Archangel Gabriel announced to Mary her selection to be God’s mother and her conception of Jesus by the Holy Spirit’s power. We have been used to Gospel readings which are directly related to the event such what is proclaimed during the Midnight Mass at Christmas or that of Easter Sunday. There is, unfortunately, no direct story in the Gospels about Mary’s immaculate conception. As one priest would have put it, the Gospel for this great feast is actually the end of the story of the Immaculate Conception.
Before Nidz and I moved to our present home, we lived next to May Wyer, an octogenarian widow who lives by herself. We call her ‘Lola’ (Grandmother) without her knowing it. Although advanced in age, she would frequent the Bingo centre (a few steps from our place) or do shopping in town. She would also do some gardening and likes to have a chat with people (sometimes unaware of how the time has passed). One summer, Nidz and I spent a few days away and when we came back, she told us to let her know so that she could keep an eye on the house. She may sound nosy, but it’s heart-warming to know that someone has that ‘malasakit’ (concern) for you. Indeed, when we moved house, she would still contact me to pick up from her some letters that arrived at our old home. She even called us just to vent her frustration at her new neighbour. We invited her to attend Chiara’s christening, but due to a bad cold, she was unable to do so. Instead, I went to see her for she has a gift to our daughter - a pink teddy bear!
We thought of paying her a visit this Christmas, the first time she will be seeing Chiara. The previous weekend, I heard from a former neighbour that she passed away six months ago - alone.
Lola May, thank you for your concern and care. You will be sorely missed. God bless your kind soul!
Prayerful wishes to His Excellency Luis Antonio G Tagle, Archbishop-elect of Manila, who will be installed at the Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception this Monday, 12th December. This date marks his 10th ordination anniversary as a bishop. I haven’t met the guy, but from what I gathered from people, he is the right person for the job. I have hoped then, when rumours that Benedict XVI has accepted Cardinal Rosales’ resignation, that Tagle would succeed Rosales. Although there have been some quarters mentioning a different name, I felt that it would be a good break from Tagle to be appointed.
Although Imus is Imus and Manila is Manila, I hope that he would effect changes necessary for the growth of the Archdiocese and, in effect, the whole country through his preaching and his living. One of the changes I look forward to is a regular reshuffle of parish priests which has not been felt in the old administration.
There have already been hints that he can be a ‘papabile’ (a candidate for the papacy). I hope he becomes one as the Church deserves to be represented and led by those from continents having great numbers of Catholics.
We should be thankful too for Cardinal Gaudencio Rosales who has led the Archdiocese for 8 years. His simple life, as told by his private secretary on the Archdiocese’s website, is something that should be emulated by everyone, especially our leaders. I think this simplicity has made him dear to the poor. Living simply is a much powerful message than slogans such as “ ______ para sa mahirap”.
By Sunday, we are mid-way of our Advent journey. Purple vestments are set aside for pink ones. The pink candle (or its equivalent) on our Advent wreath is lit. The readings invite us to rejoice. Indeed that should be our attitude. I thought of a famous song which Chiara loves to sing – especially after seeing this jolly man with white beard and in red coat in his grotto this weekend. I have rejigged it and although it may sound corny, I hope you’ll keep this in mind as celebrate the Third Sunday of Advent (a.k.a. Gaudete Sunday):
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why:
Jesus Christ is coming to town!
He’s making His way
Don’t get caught by surprise
He’s gonna find out
Who’s naughty or nice.
Jesus Christ is coming to town!
He sees you when you’re sleeping
He knows when you’re awake
He knows if you’ve been bad or good
So be good for goodness’ sake!
You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I’m telling you why:
Jesus Christ is coming to town!

No comments:
Post a Comment