Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 05, 2010

Tell Me!

I find it very strange how quick we are to tell others about someone else – be it their negative qualities (most of the time!) or their follies. This is prevalent not only within the neighbourhood, but quite sadly, in the workplace. Yes, even in the workplace where you would expect that everything would be treated with professionalism!

I don't know why. Probably it's much easier to tell it to others. Or maybe those negative qualities or follies would have been irresistable to talk about.

Jesus was very clear when he taught His followers to confront an erring person in the first instance. If that doesn’t work, then it’s time to escalate it. But that’s not the case. Like extinguishing a fire, we want someone to deal with it fast which is why we make a complaint against a colleague to the boss.

Some people use this weapon (i.e. complaining straightaway to the boss) to bully or harass others. This is so unfair. People, regardless of their status, deserve to be treated with respect at all times.

I had this experience before and have spent some time reeling from the pains and wounds bullying has caused me. I am resolved now to be on guard and never allow a similar case to happen again!

If we only follow what the Lord tells us, our workplaces, our parishes, our families, and our societies would have been more pleasant and vibrant to live and serve in.

If you have a problem with me, TELL ME!

***

Just to continue with the new English translation of the Roman Missal (new in italics), I just thought of sharing with you some other changes which I got from Fr Michael Ryan's article ("Act in Haste, Repent at Leisure; www.thetablet.co.uk):

GREETING

The Lord be with you.
And also with you.

The Lord be with you.
And with your spirit.


CONFITEOR (I confess)

I have sinned
through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do

I have greatly sinned
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done
and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault

FROM EUCHARISTIC PRAYER I

Look with favour on these offerings
and accept them as once you
accepted the gifts of your servant
Abel, the sacrifice of Abraham, our
father in faith, and the bread and
wine offered by your priest
Melchisedech.

Be pleased to look upon them with
serene and kindly countenance,
and to accept them, as you were
pleased to accept the gifts of your
servant Abel the just, the sacrifice
of Abraham, our father in faith,
and the offering of your high
priest Melchizedek, holy sacrifice,
a spotless victim.

FROM EUCHARISTIC PRAYER II

Let your Spirit come upon these
gifts to make them holy, so that
they may become for us the body
and blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Make holy, therefore, these gifts,
we pray, by sending down your
Spirit upon them like the dewfall,
so that they may become for us
the Body and Blood of our Lord,
Jesus Christ.

ECCE AGNUS DEI (Lamb of God)

Lord, I am not worthy
to receive you,
but only say the word
and I shall be healed.

Lord, I am not worthy
that you should enter under my roof,
but only say the word
and my soul shall be healed.

Fr Ryan is founder of 'What if we just said wait?' which gathers signatures from across the English-speaking world to ask (the word is actually 'implore') our bishops to delay for a year the implementation of the new translation and 'road test' it first. Thanks to Nette Andres, one of our writers in God-speak, I came to know this campaign and have signed the petition.

These changes, I feel, would hinder the faithful's full participation in the Mass which Vatican II has envisioned. Fr Shay Cullen, one of our columnists, agree with me that with such a backward step we would stumble instead of moving forward.

Read the above samples and if you feel that you are not ready for the change, please sign the petition on www.whatifwejustsaidwait.org. You may also wish to talk to priests especially your parish priests (I did!) and other lay faithful. More importantly, let's pray that our bishops would listen to their flock. I believe that it's better to delay than to be sorry.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP