Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Priest Friend

One of the first Britons I made friends with happened to be a priest. Having no barkada in the UK, my only outlets were serving the parish and being with other ex-patriates during occasions like birthdays, etc.

I first met Fr Geoffrey Hunton when I attended Mass at the Nottingham Cathedral 6 years ago. It was the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul and my late aunt’s death anniversary. Fr Geoff, as he is fondly called, at that time was celebrating his first anniversary as a priest.

It was only in late October when I had the chance to greet him “Good evening” while making my way to one of the pews. He replied back “Good evening and welcome!” It was such a short and unexpected greeting. For me it would be impossible for priests to interact with as many people they meet during Mass, let alone welcome them. Yet this priest made the effort to do so.

He did it again when, before the start of the Christmas Vigil Mass, he went to the lectern and explained to everyone – most especially to visitors/newcomers to the Cathedral including those from other faiths – that they would be most welcome to ask for the priest’s blessing when they queue for Communion.

I finally had the chance to really interact and work with him when the Cathedral was looking for volunteers to help him in organising the Cathedral Bulletin. Having been part of a parish newsletter before, I thought this might be a good idea. He arranged a meeting and then we agreed to work on the bulletin every Thursday afternoon. During that time, my work finishes at 3:30pm so by 4:00pm I was already knocking at the Cathedral House. I also had the chance then to meet other priests and volunteers.

During one of our conversations, I recalled to him that Christmas Vigil Mass experience. He told me that as a priest, he intended to make people feel being welcomed in the community. True enough, Fr Geoff was such an accommodating man who valued my inputs during my short stint of assisting him.

In spite his move to the Bishop’s House some years ago, we still continue to get in touch (and sometimes bump into each other in the City Centre!). Even if we have not seen each other for quite a while, I know that I have a friend out there who will welcome me.

A Blessed 7th Anniversary of your priestly ordination, my dear friend! May Jesus continue to fill you with His Spirit as you reach out and welcome more souls into the fold.

No comments:

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP