Having said our Hello to the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, we followed where a vast host of pilgrims were going. There was a queue (again!) of people. Before falling in line, I looked at where we're going to: the bronze statue of St Peter. This great Fisher of Men has been depicted as sat on a throne, the symbol of authority over the Church. His left hand clutches the keys entrusted to him by Christ, while the right is imparting blessing.I approached his statue and touched his right foot which has been worn out you would think him wearing a boot instead of a sandal! This has been so because of the many pilgrim down the centuries touching or kissing it.
My late Lola Piling gave me a small replica of this statue when I was a toddler. I was fascinated with it especially that at the base of that replica were inscripted: "S. Pietro". Not minding what the "S" meant, I was happy to see my name on it (Ehem!)Our very own Manila Cathedral has a replica which is similar to the size of the original.
After touching the statue's foot and having a photo op with this beautiful statue, we went to see other chapels having either images of the Blessed Mother or other saints. Some have the remains of still some more popes like Blessed John XXIII, the one who convened the Second Vatican Council.
We finally came to the basilica's main altar. On top of it is a huge and ornate baldacchino made by Bernini (a.k.a. Bernini's Gloria) It has been said that only the Pope says Mass on that altar. Below the altar is the Confession where the tomb of St Peter is located. There were no stairs available so we really have to look carefully to see where this saint's remains lie. On the four corners of the baldacchino are statues of St Andrew, St Peter's brother; St Veronica, the woman who offered to wipe Jesus' face while He was on His way to Calvary; St Helen, the Roman Empress who found the true cross of Jesus; and St Longinus, the Roman soldier who pierced the Lord's side but whose blind eye was healed by the blood and water that came forth from Jesus' wounded side.At the back of this heavenly altar is the throne of St Peter. Word has it that the relics of St Peter's throne are encased in this throne.
As I gaze on these relics of the Prince of the Apostles, I thought of how he followed Jesus. He made bold pronouncements of his loyalty to Christ yet when the going got tough he backed out. And yet the Lord continued to call him and even made him leader of the apostles and of the Church.
I too have been inconsistent on many occasions. My words don't necessarily always jibe with what I do. But God has been so good to me and has given me every opportunity to do it right next time. I don't dream to be another San Pietro, I only ask God to always be with me the way that His presence and grace were constantly at St Peter's side.
(Up Next: Our First Mass in Rome)
No comments:
Post a Comment