We actually arrived early in church as the previous Mass was about to end. As people were leaving, a young Filipino approached us and said "Kumusta po?" (How are you?). I don't know his name although I might have met him in one of the many Pinoy gatherings. I wasn't expecting this, yet I am grateful that he was able to recognise me as a fellow Filipino and a brother in the Catholic faith. Indeed, that young man is still rooted in our values and culture in spite being uprooted to another country. An example at a time when there are Filipinos who seem to have forgotten the good in their home country and have passed on that same attitude to their children.
You wouldn't believe how some Pinoys in Switzerland made this statement: "Mag-ingat sa kalahi. " (Beware of our fellow countrymen.) as we were going out of a fastfood chain.
Another person, and this one I truly know, never fails to greet me anywhere we would bump into each other - Lalaine Buenagua and his brother Lester.
To these three young people, may your tribe increase!
As I write this, I remember a dear colleague whom I have called "Pare" ever since we begun serving as lectors/commentators and staff writers for the defunct Ang Pahayagang Anluwage. Through the years, our friendship was developed and tested. I never thought that our moniker would be "taken to the next level" when he made me his first born's godfather. The last time we spoke was in 2002.
To Pareng Richard Leyson, thank you for recognising me as your "Pare". Hope we could be reunited through the web. Happy Birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment