I'm really elated with a couple of YouTube videos my cousin Bob Shroder sent me recently. They featured the traditional Maytinis 2007 (both in Kawit, Cavite where the celebration originated and in San Diego, California where Kawitenos continue to observe and develop their heritage). I was happy to see him conducting the band that performs during the Panunuluyan. I'm pleased too to listen and join in the singing of these songs which I learned through years of assisting my cousin and her late mom when they used to direct this event in the Philippines. You might describe this article a rather belated Christmas issue so I'm asking for your indulgence.
Manong Bob managed to send me too a video of the Pabasa taken in one of the Tagalog-speaking provinces in the country. Now, this is a more appropriate topic to delve at, right? Like the Maytinis, I took part in chanting the Pasyong Mahal in Cavite since I was 10 years old. Believe it or not, instead of playing with my cousins during those hot days in the province, I chose to stay in the kubol(chapel) to chant. Eventually, I began bringing along my cousins! I will forever be indebted to Manong Bob's mother and my aunt, Mommy Rosie, who would tag me along to the chapel every now and then during Lent.
Times have really changed. Maytinis used to be celebrated only in Kawit. Now it's also observed (though in a less extravagant way) in San Diego.
This holds true as well for Anluwage - a parish newsletter before, now a website for the world.
The challenge is to keep these endeavours alive so we could pass these on to the next generation. For as long as men and women out there are willing to share their talents, time, and effort traditions and other worthwhile activites would flourish.
Sunday, March 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment